IPD sale Volvo Parts

Import Used Vehicle (Canada to US) or Buy in US?

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
antigone
Year and Model: S70 1998
Canada

Import Used Vehicle (Canada to US) or Buy in US?

Post by antigone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster :)
(and heaps of gratitude for the help this forum provided, a few years ago, when my S70's alternator died in rural OH on a Sunday!)

Background:
It's time to retire my beloved '98 S70, so I'm looking for a replacement. The S70 was purchased in Ontario and imported to Georgia (USA) when I moved there 3 years ago. At the time, it had Ontario plates, so I imported it and got GA plates. The Ontario plates have since expired, of course. I have driven it home to Ontario every summer to visit family, then back to GA at the beginning of the new school term in the fall. This time, unfortunately, it looks like it won't make it back to GA without repairs that far exceed the value of the vehicle (needs new rad, new front tires, new dash/cluster, and there seems to be a persistent issue with the suspension/struts despite the fact that they were replaced <6 months ago). This has been a long time coming. I'm ready to move on.

The question:
Since I have GA plates, does it make more (financial & logistical) sense to wait to buy a vehicle in GA, if all other considerations are equal? If I bought a vehicle in Ontario to drive back to GA, would I need to pay purchase taxes here, get it plated in Ontario for the drive down, and then import it to GA (pay state import taxes & update the plate registration) when I arrive back in the south? (I suppose I can't just stick the current GA plates (from the S70) on the new vehicle...? Naive but sincere question.)

I've never dealt with this before, since the first import was relatively straight forward. I'm getting piecemeal information from Service Ontario and the GA Tax Commissioner's Office, so the big-picture process remains murky. Any tips or insight would be appreciated!

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940

Re: Import Used Vehicle (Canada to US) or Buy in US?

Post by 93Regina » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:39 pm

US: Importing a Motor Vehicle

RE: "Most Canadian-made vehicles are duty-free." I have no idea what the score is today, with Trump's tariff "game."

antigone
Canada

Post by antigone » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks 93Regina. I have read that page - I was wondering about the part where I have to drive the car through Canada/to the border, before I can import it. Is it the case that if I bought the vehicle in Canada, I'd need to pay all registration fees & taxes to have it plated in Ontario for the drive down, before I could import it to the US & have my GA plate updated for the new (used) vehicle?

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:12 pm

1. Ontario will have rusty vehicles that GA will not.
2. The same vehicle will cost more in Ontario than in GA.
3. The cost will be less in GA since FWD versions of many Volvo models will be the norm in GA and AWD versions will be the bulk of the choices in Ontario. You may want AWD but maybe since the car is listed as going to Ontario in the summer maybe there is no need for AWD.

antigone
Canada

Post by antigone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks jimmy57. Those are helpful considerations.

I still have to factor in the cost to fly back to GA, since I wouldn't be able to drive back (as I normally do) without a buying a car here. And I was hoping to have my long-time and trusted mechanic (who is here in Canada) perform a pre-purchase inspection on anything I'm considering. Slightly nervous about those two aspects of waiting to buy a car in GA.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:18 pm

The extra taxes would wash the airfare I would think.
I certainly understand the relationship with the local mechanic. What part of Atlanta area?
I know of some shops around that area as I did live there and still know people who do with Volvos that likely have some recommendations.

antigone
Canada

Post by antigone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:32 pm

I'd really appreciate a recommendation. I'm in Druid Hills, but would be happy to commute within the perimeter area (and potentially to areas just outside it as well) for reliable service.