IPD sale Volvo Parts

Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
User avatar
BlackBart
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:03 pm
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 Black
Location: Montana
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Sweden

Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by BlackBart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Just when I get the front all buttoned up and working nicely, something goes wrong in the back!

So, after putting the cam cover, PCV, and timing belt back on, I filled it up to test drive, and we smell gas, pretty strongly. Didn't put it in the garage just in case. Drove it this morning, and there was a small drip on the passenger side under the tank area. Bottom and outside of the tank area is wet, filter and lines seem dry, so it doesn't appear to be the fuel fittings or hoses. It's wet higher up on the tank - towards outside of car.

Lifted it up, laid under it, did some poking around, lifted the seats, everything dry, no smell inside. Then I realized the driver (US left) side lid is only a sender, the pump is under a lid under the right setback. Different from the 850 lid farther back. OK, I'm up to speed now. Found a very good MVS write-up here...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67480

So, my questions are:
1. Does the pump-to-tank gasket ring fail? Is this a common failure point? Or is it the plastic top of the pump housing?
2. What is the reason we're dragging cables and hoses from one side of the tank to the other? Can't you replace that rubber ring or the fuel pump and leave the left side and hoses alone?
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon

precopster
Posts: 7130
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 am
Year and Model: Lots
Location: Melbourne Australia
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Australia

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by precopster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Really silly setup on these. The return line from the pump housing forms a loop to the left side and has wires and a plastic carrier bracket zip tied to it to support the fuel sender on the left side. Replacing the pump is a real pain as you need to tie the return loop to something stiff like a doubled up piece of wire bent into a banana shape.

Watch the tightness of the O ring on the pump assembly. The rubber fatigues and should be replaced when a new pump goes in. Same goes for the left side sender cover o ring.

As it gets tightened it can crimp and fold causing leaks/smells. The top of the pump can also crack but many of these get fixed by filling that round area with fuel resistant filler.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

User avatar
SuperHerman
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:28 pm
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Location: Minnesota
Been thanked: 60 times
United States of America

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Usually it is the plastic cover of the fuel pump that cracks and leaks. This just happened to my brother's XC70. Yours sounds rather severe - usually they start with just a smell and are repaired/replaced shortly thereafter.

Best thing to do is remove the various pieces (there are some videos on it) to get to the access panels and then take a look. It will be apparent if yours is leaking in this area.

Some people fill the entire plastic area where they see the crack with an even level coating of epoxy and have had success. Regardless pulling the access panels should tell you whether your leak is coming from the pump. Personally, I would locate your leak and if it is indeed the top of the pump order the parts (including the o-rings precopster mentions) and replace it. For a short term fix you could use some epoxy until the parts arrive. Clean the area well, rough the entire bottom up with some sand paper, clean it again, and then add a layer thick enough to cover the entire area with 1-2mm of epoxy (or as precopster states "fuel resistant filler").

User avatar
BlackBart
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:03 pm
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 Black
Location: Montana
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Sweden

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by BlackBart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 pm

precopster wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:42 pm
Really silly setup on these. The return line from the pump housing forms a loop to the left side and has wires and a plastic carrier bracket zip tied to it to support the fuel sender on the left side. Replacing the pump is a real pain as you need to tie the return loop to something stiff like a doubled up piece of wire bent into a banana shape.
So, the wire holds the crossover hose in place so you can replace the pump? Or does the pump include those hoses? I saw a video of a guy dragging the hose assembly across to the other side with a cable, like fishing electrical lines through a conduit. Do they not disconnect from the pump?

Am I replacing the sender / float unit in the left tank as part of this? Why?

I feel like if I'm going in there, I'll put in a new pump and gaskets and not need to do it again. New Bosch at FCP is $140. ..hang on..the FCP photo shows two black hoses attached. So how do you fish the new hoses back across to the left tank?
67737.jpg
67737.jpg (219.12 KiB) Viewed 239 times
What a pain. So we're leaving for a wedding 900 miles away on Wed. No way I'm going to get the parts, learn how to do this hose mess, back together by Tues, then take an untested car across the middle of nowhere. I've done that - it involved flatbed trucks and rental cars and many many dollars.

I read a reference to a recall on these pumps, now long expired? Was it because the plastic housing broke? I didn't see anything about that in the PO's records, so I doubt it got done.
Last edited by BlackBart on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon

User avatar
BlackBart
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:03 pm
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 Black
Location: Montana
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Sweden

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by BlackBart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:16 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:41 pm
Usually it is the plastic cover of the fuel pump that cracks and leaks. This just happened to my brother's XC70. Yours sounds rather severe - usually they start with just a smell and are repaired/replaced shortly thereafter.
So that sounds common now - so many references to leaking pumps and epoxy.

This happened suddenly. It was in the garage a long time while I fixed the head, then I filled it up (from maybe 5/8 to full) to road test it for a week, and it's dripping under the car. So it was sitting in a closed garage for weeks with an over half full tank. I would have smelled that.

So, a new o-ring on the pump collar, another one for the left side sender collar, and two gaskets for the metal lids in the floor?

On the 850, I remember putting something slippery on the rubber gasket so the collar would slide and tighten down evenly.
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon

precopster
Posts: 7130
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 am
Year and Model: Lots
Location: Melbourne Australia
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Australia

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by precopster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:27 am

You can re-use the metal cover gaskets. I would work on it by blowing with compressed air and then clean with throttle/brake cleaner then blow it dry. Use the epoxy and see how it goes.

Sounds like just the cost of the epoxy to me!

With the fuel pump there is another connector out of picture which is fuel pump power. It could either be on top of the pump or on the left side carried by the return hose. Two connectors on the left side provide power and fuel sender plugs. No wiring on the right side at all if it's the same as a 2002 XC70.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

jonesg
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:25 pm
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Location: Northern maine.
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Wales

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by jonesg » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:15 am

BlackBart wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:29 pm
Just when I get the front all buttoned up and working nicely, something goes wrong in the back!

So, after putting the cam cover, PCV, and timing belt back on, I filled it up to test drive, and we smell gas, pretty strongly. Didn't put it in the garage just in case. Drove it this morning, and there was a small drip on the passenger side under the tank area. Bottom and outside of the tank area is wet, filter and lines seem dry, so it doesn't appear to be the fuel fittings or hoses. It's wet higher up on the tank - towards outside of car.

Lifted it up, laid under it, did some poking around, lifted the seats, everything dry, no smell inside. Then I realized the driver (US left) side lid is only a sender, the pump is under a lid under the right setback. Different from the 850 lid farther back. OK, I'm up to speed now. Found a very good MVS write-up here...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67480

So, my questions are:
1. Does the pump-to-tank gasket ring fail? Is this a common failure point? Or is it the plastic top of the pump housing?
2. What is the reason we're dragging cables and hoses from one side of the tank to the other? Can't you replace that rubber ring or the fuel pump and leave the left side and hoses alone?
Disconnect battery to prevent SRI code. Spray pump top with brake keener and dry off.
Apply solvent proof JB Weld, impervious to fuel and chemicals.
Allow 24 hrs to fully cure.

I did mine 2 yrs ago, still good.
I didnt sand or scuff the plastic, that might allow a path for seepage.

User avatar
SuperHerman
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:28 pm
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Location: Minnesota
Been thanked: 60 times
United States of America

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 am

The sanding or scuffing is to make sure you get good adhesion. Just a light go over then a good cleaning with a solvent that will not harm the plastic.

JB Weld is a solid choice - preferably not 5 minute as you want the epoxy to self level and cover the entire area.

Over time the plastic starts to get brittle and forms cracks - that is usually the cause of the smell and/or leaks.

Best approach is to take a look to see exactly what your issue is by removing the covers before ordering anything. You may have another issue other than the top plastic cracking. If it is the typical plastic cracking, while everything is apart, try some JB Weld.

User avatar
shiloh51933
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
Location: New York
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by shiloh51933 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:20 am

precopster wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:27 am
You can re-use the metal cover gaskets. I would work on it by blowing with compressed air and then clean with throttle/brake cleaner then blow it dry. Use the epoxy and see how it goes.

Sounds like just the cost of the epoxy to me!

With the fuel pump there is another connector out of picture which is fuel pump power. It could either be on top of the pump or on the left side carried by the return hose. Two connectors on the left side provide power and fuel sender plugs. No wiring on the right side at all if it's the same as a 2002 XC70.
Personally I'd replace the pump with a new one while you have it out. Sure you can rigg it up but if you pushing close to 200k on the odometer it might be worth replacing it now. FCPEURO.com has the "Bosch" fuel pump for like $125.00 bucks. It's the actual "Genuine Volvo " fuel pump but comes in the manufacturer's box (Bosch) instead of a Volvo box..
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

User avatar
BlackBart
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:03 pm
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 Black
Location: Montana
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Sweden

Re: Fuel tank leak (?) or fuel pump (04 XC)

Post by BlackBart » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:36 am

shiloh51933 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:20 am
Personally I'd replace the pump with a new one while you have it out.
This is where I am. I don't like temporary fixes, I don't want to go in here again, and my experience is 99% of epoxies do not bond to plastic - that's why you mix them in plastic tubs. Once it dries, the leftovers just pop right off the tub.

Looks like I'll have to take the Audi and cross my fingers - it's the one that left me stranded in Wyoming......
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests