Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

144 bench seat babe photo, and Volvo seatbelt history

Post by matthew1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 am

144-front-seat.jpg
144-front-seat.jpg (294.93 KiB) Viewed 227 times
From Volvo sales literature ^ of the era

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... belt-1959/
In the 1950s, Vattenfall, the Swedish national power company, had a problem—its workforce was dying in car crashes. Two engineers with the power company, Bengt Odelgard and Per-Olof Weman, were given the task of making employees' cars safer. Their research led to the invention of the three-point seat belt by Volvo, Sweden's largest car company.

Based on research by the US Air Force, Odelgard and Weman came to the conclusion that a diagonal restraint, rather than a simple lap-belt, would vastly improve safety. In 1956, Vattenfall started fitting two-point across-the-chest safety belts to its cars, and soon after that, Volvo boss Gunnar Engellau became interested in the tech.
Help keep MVS on the web -> buy from sponsors.
Also -> Amazon link
Like the high quality content? Thank a moderator.
Help MVS and be an MVS Contributor.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

Tags:

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America

Re: 144 bench seat babe photo, and Volvo seatbelt history

Post by RickHaleParker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm

Even if your parents did not drive a Volvo there is a chance you are here because of Volvo.

"1972 – rearward-facing child safety seat

Remember those early images of astronauts lying on their backs during take-off to even out the forces? Well, that was the basic principle behind our rearward-facing child seats, to spread the load and minimize injury. Then we innovated in 1976 with the child booster seat and again in 1990 with an integrated booster built right into the seat."
VolvoChildSeat.jpg
VolvoChildSeat.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 213 times
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4
1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4
2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.

145express
Year and Model: V70
Denmark

Post by 145express » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:17 am

One can only wonder how many lifes seatbelts have saved..

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940

Post by 93Regina » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:17 pm

145express wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:17 am
One can only wonder how many lifes seatbelts have saved.
Relative to "Global Warming," I'm not sure how to answer that question:-)

I suspect better designed highways have reduced traffic deaths more. Two lane highways had many head-on collisions, where on interstates with barriers, head-on accidents are rare.

Tire based accidents have been reduced greatly with lawsuits and government interventions.

Those who "create" statistics about seatbelts "saves" lives may be fudging their data, and/or using a flawed analysis; as I noted above, improvements in road safety (better highways, signage, etc) also affects these stats. Just like when fuel prices are high, traffic deaths are down..

Yes, seatbelt usage can save lives, but examining each accident is not done...gross data based. Seatbelts, like air bags, can also kill people.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:30 pm

93Regina wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:17 pm
145express wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:17 am
One can only wonder how many lifes seatbelts have saved.
Relative to "Global Warming," I'm not sure how to answer that question:-)

I suspect better designed highways have reduced traffic deaths more. Two lane highways had many head-on collisions, where on interstates with barriers, head-on accidents are rare.

Tire based accidents have been reduced greatly with lawsuits and government interventions.

Those who "create" statistics about seatbelts "saves" lives may be fudging their data, and/or using a flawed analysis; as I noted above, improvements in road safety (better highways, signage, etc) also affects these stats. Just like when fuel prices are high, traffic deaths are down..

Yes, seatbelt usage can save lives, but examining each accident is not done...gross data based. Seatbelts, like air bags, can also kill people.
A lot of accidents are examined though, especially where people die. Seat belts do a *lot* of good even at lower speeds. I'll see if I can find it later but there are studies of road deaths where people weren't wearing the belt comparing them to similar accidents were people were and there's quite a difference. Other safety systems such as air bags or crumple zones are designed with seat belts in mind, they don't work as well if you don't stay put in your seat. And you often don't without the belt.

Improved road design also does reduce the damage from accidents considerably but you've still got a lot of force involved when hitting a barrier instead of the oncoming car.

93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 am
Here's a high resolution photo

There is a lot of details showing in it...it must have come from original....unreal detail.

93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:30 pm
there are studies of road deaths where people weren't wearing the belt comparing them to similar accidents were people were and there's quite a difference.
In my home state in US, a law enforcement officer must determine if occupants were wearing seat-belts, when a death(s) is involved. Then a newspaper may indicate if seat belts were buckled up. When a vehicle collides with a train, they still report. Seal belts, statistically speaking, do not save lives when vehicles collide with a moving train.
===========

On a different note,

" In fatal crashes in 2016, about 81 percent of passenger vehicle occupants who were totally ejected from the vehicle were killed."

If hitting a solid brick wall at a higher speed, the deceleration will kill occupants. This above is generalized, and most likely, does not examine what would have happened if seat belt usage existed. A traffic officer just uses a standard form, and marks this/that box...then info in computerized.
===========

If you look at Figure 1
Percent of Passenger Vehicle Occupants Who Were Killed and Unrestrained, 2007-2016

Here again, speed and objects hit are not relevant to topic...just factual data that does not excude accidents where speed/objects would have killed occupants, regardless of seat belt usage.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:46 pm

93Regina wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 pm
Rattnalle wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:30 pm
there are studies of road deaths where people weren't wearing the belt comparing them to similar accidents were people were and there's quite a difference.
In my home state in US, a law enforcement officer must determine if occupants were wearing seat-belts, when a death(s) is involved. Then a newspaper may indicate if seat belts were buckled up. When a vehicle collides with a train, they still report. Seal belts, statistically speaking, do not save lives when vehicles collide with a moving train.
===========

On a different note,

" In fatal crashes in 2016, about 81 percent of passenger vehicle occupants who were totally ejected from the vehicle were killed."

If hitting a solid brick wall at a higher speed, the deceleration will kill occupants. This above is generalized, and most likely, does not examine what would have happened if seat belt usage existed. A traffic officer just uses a standard form, and marks this/that box...then info in computerized.
===========

If you look at Figure 1
Percent of Passenger Vehicle Occupants Who Were Killed and Unrestrained, 2007-2016

Here again, speed and objects hit are not relevant to topic...just factual data that does not excude accidents where speed/objects would have killed occupants, regardless of seat belt usage.
We do things a bit differently. We've got STRADA as a common data collection point for the government (https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en/ro ... ik/STRADA/). Then there are people who study certain accidents in depth including checking the vehicles, the scene and such though I'm not sure what the criteria for selection is.

As for people who are ejected a large portion of those wouldn't have been wearing a seat belt, at least not a modern one with pre tensioner. In Sweden it would probably also correlate with drunk driving and other risk factors since seat belt usage is at almost 100 %.

93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:46 pm
seat belt usage is at almost 100 %.
In previous post I made, there was an URL (PDF) cited....one of the tables showed % of seat belt usage. Each state has a population density, and a state like South Dakota would have a low population density. Without re-examining this information, I think in South Dakota seat belt usage was around 70%.

I live in a low density state, and drive mostly rural roads, where a person could drive in opposing traffic's lane, about 99% of drive-time, and not hit a vehicle. About only time I use seat belts is when driving in larger cities, and sometimes, when doing interstate highway driving.

Do note, I have about 200,000 miles (321,868 km) on motorcycles....

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America

Post by June » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 am
144-front-seat.jpg

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... belt-1959/
In the 1950s, Vattenfall, the Swedish national power company, had a problem—its workforce was dying in car crashes. Two engineers with the power company, Bengt Odelgard and Per-Olof Weman, were given the task of making employees' cars safer. Their research led to the invention of the three-point seat belt by Volvo, Sweden's largest car company.

Based on research by the US Air Force, Odelgard and Weman came to the conclusion that a diagonal restraint, rather than a simple lap-belt, would vastly improve safety. In 1956, Vattenfall started fitting two-point across-the-chest safety belts to its cars, and soon after that, Volvo boss Gunnar Engellau became interested in the tech.
That bench seat is beautiful! Moms earliest Volvo I can remember was a 142 grey with a black interior but buckets. Even the 164 had buckets. That seat looks so luxurious.

Though I think the S80 seat is the best Volvo made, had a bench option been available I would have preferred it over the bucket seats. Buckets are less convenient in my eyes if someone is in the passenger seat as that center space gives a place for the dog or a purse.

No question Volvo safety features have saved countless lives and debilitating injuries. Such as SIPS bags, Air Curtains, WIPPS to name a few more. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned