IPD sale Volvo Parts

My 2005 XC90 2.5t awd rebuild

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ngarover
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
United States of America

Re: Replacing fuel tank in 2005 xc90 2.5 AWD.

Post by ngarover » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Found a few more issues today, the Yaw sensor under the pass seat, I had over looked it until I was ready some posts here. I'll try to clean it but I'll grab one off the part Volvo next weekend. Also the siren battery leaked, the board is toast. I'll grab it as well and see if it's any better. My fuel pump control module had already been relocated to the floor right in from of the fuel pump, it looks fine.
IMG_20181110_170745978.jpg
IMG_20181110_110735486.jpg

nedc
Year and Model: 1994 940T

Post by nedc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Looks like a labor of love...or insanity! LOL I went thru something similar with rescuing a 2005 w/ 2.5T. Lot of work but you'll have a good vehicle when you finish and you'll know it inside and out. good luck...

ngarover
United States of America

Post by ngarover » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:44 pm

It runs!

Put in the new fuel filter and new pump tonight after work. Drove it down to station and filled it up to test it, of course, one small issue, the green oring around the sending unit is weeping. Tightened it down best I could till I can run half a tank out of it and have a couple spare rings from the donor tank I never used.

Of course this leads me to the Yaw sensor and the airbags. I bought a AUTOPHIX ES610 code reader that spose to be able to turn off the air bags light read volvo codes, have not oppened it yet. Im wondering if anyone has used this scanner and thier feelings?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015E ... UTF8&psc=1

Should I return it and get the iCarsoft scanner insead?

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-systems ... vo+scanner

ngarover
United States of America

Post by ngarover » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Drove it from Chattanooga to ATL over the weekend. Been driving it to work all week as well, runs great now. The scanner was able to clear all codes, except for the Yaw sensor, I'll need to find a good used one. I was able to grab a few more parts from the donor car and replaced the chrome window molding on the doors, the arm rest (which turned out broken as well, must be really common. I filled broken post stands with melted plastic, drilled some holds and used longer screws to put it back together. seems fine now). I also grabbed the yaw sensor but it's as bad as mine, and his alarm siren, which works! I'll cut it open and replace the batteries anyways to prevent it from leaking and ruining this one.

Polished out the headlights... 100% better, but they both have several cracking areas in the lenses along the sides, and some burn in from the headlights. Will hunt for a good set of used.

next on list is the timing belt tensioner etc.. just going to get the kit. Then it will be the front suspension.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Epic efforts and I enjoy reading the updates.

I have found that epoxy putty is great for rebuilding broken plastic posts. If you work it just before it completely cures it can be shaped very accurate.

ngarover
United States of America

Post by ngarover » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Ya, I should have taken pictures last night of the center column, I'll try to explain how I fixed them better.

First, both my post where broken off. I tried the epoxy, but there was just to much stress there and they both broke off again. So I got some plastic cocktail sticks (zip ties would or any other strip of plastic would work as well, maybe even weed trimmer line) I heated up the plastic with a mini torch until it became liquid and built up and filled in the area where the post had been. I went about an 1/4 inch higher that what would have been the normal resting place for the metal hinges and let both higher humps burn on fire. then I sent the hinges on them and pushed down. the hot plastic molded up into the post holds of the hinges. I then drilled out holds for standard sheet metal screws and used those to secure the whole thing. Sure, you don't have nice matching Allen heads that are black, if your really picky I guess you could paint them. The fix should be stronger than the original design as the post are no more and instead you have the sheet metal screw acting as a replacement.

ngarover
United States of America

Post by ngarover » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Still working on this, Have replaced Muffler from Cat back, have timing kit coming this coming weekend from FCP. DMV broke the fuel door off.... I ordered a new hinge as well. Have replaced all the interior lighting with LED. much much better now. If all goes well with the timing belt I'll move on to the struts etc. also , I want to wire up an LED light for the engine compartment. The trim piece I replaced on the passenger door fell off somewhere, I was sure I had it on right but guess not. on the lookout for a replacement, stupid things 150 bucks new... that simply crazy for that part. Been driving it every day now, runs great.

ngarover
United States of America

Post by ngarover » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Along with the timing belt kit from FCP I also have a new water pump, serpentine belt tensioner and pully for it. figured I might as well go ahead and replace everything.

ngarover
United States of America

Post by ngarover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Today I replaced the Timing belt, TB tensioner and TB pully, Water pump, serpentine belt and SB tensioner/pully and flushed the Radiator. Was scared when I hit that key the first time, but it fired right up and ran great! I followed several threads here on how to do it. I guess I spent a total of 6 hours working on it.

ngarover
United States of America

Post by ngarover » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:53 pm

so, just so people know, I called up the Volvo dealer to inquire what the charge was for replacing the timing belt, 980.00 plus parts. So I called around and the cheapest place I could find was a Maxie, who if I supplied all my own parts would do it for 450. I really saved a ton by doing this myself. :) still driving strong. the control arms are shot. the front anti sway linkage is as well, and it will need all the engine mounts replaced. FCP and a kit for 127 to take car of that. But the control arms and anti sway are next up. might just get the kit from FCP there as well, and to ball joints etc. Will deal with front first and then rear, then engine mounts. The control arms are so back it pulls to the right when I hit the brakes! I believe they are original with 177K on them. The struts work, but make making a noise at the top left mounting point. so I'll have to address that as well. Total investment on this is now sitting at 1300. figure another 1000 to sort out what I need to. Volvo Control Arm Kit 6 Piece - Meyle KIT-P2XC90CAKT3P6 is 266. from FCP, since everything is lifetime there and this thing is old and beat-up anyways no sense buying the expensive parts.