IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

V70 T5 radiator replacement - removal from top

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
volvolugnut

V70 T5 radiator replacement - removal from top

Post by volvolugnut » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:58 pm

<t>There are several references to V70 radiator removal and replacement including notes from the factory manuals. From what I can find, every source says to remove the radiator from below the car after raising the front of the car. There is also recommendation to use two people to remove and replace the radiator from the bottom.<br/>
Since my 2001 V70 T5 developed a leak in the top hose neck, I started researching how to replace the radiator myself. The recommendation was to raise the front of the car and remove the radiator from the bottom. Measurements showed I would have to raise the front about 12 inches to get the radiator out the bottom. I would also have to do all other work from the top with the car raised 12 inches. In addition, I would need a helper. None of this was attractive to me since I do not have a lift or a readily available person to help. <br/>
I decided to consider replacement of the radiator from the top. The obvious part in the way was the steel brace across the front supporting the top of the radiator. This and other parts did not look hard to remove. I decided I would try the top removal process.<br/>
Top removal was a success. The normal parts for radiator replacement have to be removed - fan, intake air hose, electric cables, aftercooler air return tube, air tube for the electric controls on left side, inlet and outlet radiator hoses and transmission cooler tubes. The steel cross brace has many bolts , but these are easy to remove and the brace lifts off. Of course the coolant must be drained. Catch it to reuse or just replace with fresh coolant. Also catch the small amount of transmission fluid lost. Measure the transmission fluid drained and replace the exact amount. Catch and replace is easier than trying to read the transmission fluid level on the dipstick. <br/>
There are many small fasteners used. Mark them with tape and marker or some other method to identify where they are used.<br/>
I found the bumper has to be removed, but this was not difficult. There are several plastic clips at the top front, two clips at the back lower corners, two screws at the center back, two bolts under the clip on bumper trim and quick connects for fog lights.<br/>
The engine splash pan has to be removed and the air duct in front of the radiator. These were not hard to remove from the bottom.<br/>
With these parts removed, I was able to separate the radiator from the aftercooler and the air conditioner condenser. I hung these two parts from the bumper beam with nylon tie straps to support them when the radiator was removed. <br/>
The radiator came out the top rather easily. The tight fit required a bit of wiggling to clear everything. Don't force it and damage something. <br/>
Compare the replacement radiator to the old radiator. They should be the same in all major details. In my case, some of the fasteners were molded into the plastic instead of clipped to the plastic.<br/>
Replacement of the radiator was harder. I had to slightly bend the electric conduit guide on the left side to get a little more clearance for the radiator. Once this done, it fit with some more wiggling.
the rest of the parts are replaced in reverse order of removal. Take photos as you remove parts as a guide. Details can get fuzzy if it takes a couple weeks to get everything back together. Total time is estimated as 10 -12 hours. Results will vary.</t>

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: V70 T5 radiator replacement - removal from top

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Great work and thank you for write up.

The only thing I will emphasis and/or add to your write up, although it may not apply as much to removing it from the top, is try to minimize or eliminate twisting and flexing the replacement radiator. When researching removal on an XC70 I saw many owners have radiators with shortened service due to leaking at the seams, most likely caused by the twisting and flexing.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 pm

I did my second replacement In four hours.

I had replaced the troublesome fan housing bolts with SS, as well as the sandwhich bolts with 10 mm hex and locknuts. I cut two 19 mm holes in the cooling fairing to access those bolts

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

bbeels
Year and Model: 2001 v70 T5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
bbeels

Post by bbeels » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:09 am

I plan to do this tomorrow on my 2001 V70 T5, glad to see that getting the radiator out the top is possible. it suddenly developed a leak by where the upper hose attaches, I thought it was just the hose, but the new hose didn't stop the leak.
I also will be working alone and It sounds like you were able to do it just flat on the ground, is that true?

I'd hate to get too far in and notice that I need to lift the car. I did a radiator a few of years ago on a 2004 V70 2.4T and did it through the bottom, just up on Rhino Ramps, but would prefer to be able to pull it out the top. This time I will stay away from the AC condenser. I made the mistake of releasing freeon and had to get a new part for that. At least this time I won't be doing it during a summer heat wave.

Mistral Green Metallic 2001 V70 T5
Gold 2003 V70 24T
Blue 1997 850
White 1993 850

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:49 am

Much easier to drop out bottom. You can get it to ground, then use the car jack to jack up and ease out one side.

On the T5 you can really ruin your day putting force in the hard pipe going to thethrottle body

Do squirt those fan screws with PB Blaster a week before, the heads are usually rusted off, though. Replace with cheap SS from Lowe Quality or Home Despot

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

reverend
Year and Model: 2006 V70 2.5t
United States of America
reverend

Post by reverend » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm

abscate wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:49 am
Much easier to drop out bottom.
Agreed. If you remove the bumper cover, I'm not sure you even have to jack the car up. I had mine on jack stands, but with the bumper cover removed, you drop the radiator (or entire pack of radiator/IC/condenser) and angle the bottom of it forward and slide it out.

The tedious part is disconnecting hoses and stuff.

STSCowboy
Year and Model: 2006 V70 2.5T
United States of America
STSCowboy

Post by STSCowboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 pm

My car I bought at the auction just had the radiator replaced the day before because upper hose inlet was also cracked. Seems like a common failure point.

2006 V70 2.5T Geartronic Silver Black Leather 131,000 Miles

STSCowboy
Year and Model: 2006 V70 2.5T
United States of America
STSCowboy

Post by STSCowboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:56 am

Recommended Radiator Fluid for these 2.5T engines?

2006 V70 2.5T Geartronic Silver Black Leather 131,000 Miles