Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S80 Master Power Window switch

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

MrBreeze
Year and Model: 2007 Volvo S80 FWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MrBreeze

S80 Master Power Window switch

Post by MrBreeze » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I am an independent auto broker that specializes in Volvo's and me and my Volvo tech are perplexed on an 2008 S80 T6 I have.

The master power window switch will not work intermittently (works more than doesn't), when it stops I can slam the door and it works again. My tech has 20 years Volvo dealer experience, and we are both stumped. So far I have replaced the switch with a new one. We also removed the door and pulled the wires in the harness out as far as we could and did not find any broken wires (there is a plastic tie that Volvo used and the wires commonly break at that tie). I really don't want to pay exorbitant diagnostic fees or even replace the door wiring harness, so before I go down that road just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this?

By the way, I have repaired countless Volvo's I have sold myself, thanks to this forum. A treasure trove of information. Thanks

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: S80 Master Power Window switch

Post by oragex » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Have you guys tested the wires for continuity with a multimeter? Like one by one while twisting bending the harness in some places. The wire may be almost broken inside the jacket.

Also thinking at some water leak onto the switch unit from inside the door panel, the door card panel would show some darker areas (tough it may feel dry if no recent rain). The water strips and seals on these cars don't do that well at 10 years old.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

MrBreeze
Year and Model: 2007 Volvo S80 FWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MrBreeze

Re: S80 Master Power Window switch

Post by MrBreeze » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Have not tested the connections for continuity yet. Will try this weekend.
Forgot to mention all the individual door window switches work fine, so problem is confined to drivers door.
When I changed the master switch I saw nothing that made me think water leak, will check again.