IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Interesting Climate Control Behavior Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Interesting Climate Control Behavior

Post by oragex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 am

We had another user mentioning the same issue with the cabin air, right after replacing the car battery.

As mentioned above, I would perhaps try first recalibrating the CCM (Vida)

But I'm also thinking at a busted cabin temp sensor (tiny guy behind the grid near the right temp knob).

When connecting the car battery, Volvo procedure calls for the ignition key to be placed in POS II - headlights on on cars with daylight running lights. So all cars should have the headlights on when reconnecting the car battery (I also do this when disconnecting the battery because sometimes I get sparks at the poles).

This prevents a power burst in the car electronics, namely a tiny thermistors is sensitive to this and can fail. Possible the cabin temp thermistor got damaged and may work for a little until it warms up then opens the circuit.

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am

Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:06 am
abscate wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:29 am
It should be sticky, that is, if you turn off the AC manually, the next time you use the car it should stay off.

The defrost mode always turns on AC
You shouldn't turn the AC off though. That button is only useful when driving with the windows down in summer.

But yes it should stay off if you do turn it iff.

It is indeed a good idea to run the A/C all year around, even in cold weather (the A/C cold air is mixed with the hot air). This helps lubricate the A/C system o-rings with the A/C oil and keep these seals flexible and prevent leaks. I usually run it weekly once, then stop it a few minutes before parking the car, to allow the evaporator to dry - otherwise it builds up mildew and starts smelling (some cars have a setting to run the blower after shutting off the engine to dry the evaporator, but mine doesn't have it)

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:44 am

oragex wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 am
We had another user mentioning the same issue with the cabin air, right after replacing the car battery.

As mentioned above, I would perhaps try first recalibrating the CCM (Vida)

But I'm also thinking at a busted cabin temp sensor (tiny guy behind the grid near the right temp knob).

When connecting the car battery, Volvo procedure calls for the ignition key to be placed in POS II - headlights on on cars with daylight running lights. So all cars should have the headlights on when reconnecting the car battery (I also do this when disconnecting the battery because sometimes I get sparks at the poles).

This prevents a power burst in the car electronics, namely a tiny thermistors is sensitive to this and can fail. Possible the cabin temp thermistor got damaged and may work for a little until it warms up then opens the circuit.
Afaik the main reason is that it's dangerous if the airbag goes off when power is restored. Better not sit behind the wheel then.

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 am

oragex wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am
Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:06 am
abscate wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:29 am
It should be sticky, that is, if you turn off the AC manually, the next time you use the car it should stay off.

The defrost mode always turns on AC
You shouldn't turn the AC off though. That button is only useful when driving with the windows down in summer.

But yes it should stay off if you do turn it iff.

It is indeed a good idea to run the A/C all year around, even in cold weather (the A/C cold air is mixed with the hot air). This helps lubricate the A/C system o-rings with the A/C oil and keep these seals flexible and prevent leaks. I usually run it weekly once, then stop it a few minutes before parking the car, to allow the evaporator to dry - otherwise it builds up mildew and starts smelling (some cars have a setting to run the blower after shutting off the engine to dry the evaporator, but mine doesn't have it)
The blower running for a bit is a configurable user parameter in vida. I've turned it on to keep the system fresher. It'll use more battery though.

a3inverter
Year and Model: 2006 V70
United States of America
a3inverter

Post by a3inverter » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:07 pm

oragex wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 am

Yep, my DRLs are on all the time. I'll look at the thermistor under some bright light next chance I get.

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:38 pm

It may or may not be apparent. If its resistance element got weaker, it won't show up physically. I think it's a 10k ohm at room temp (25C) but not too sure

a3inverter
United States of America
a3inverter

Post by a3inverter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Update: It seems to have fixed (or recalibrated) itself. This behavior actually mimics what I recall from the first time I pulled the battery cable. Nice heat for my full commute (and any longer drive) now.

cn90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 pm

- Thermostat may be bad. I use Wahler, info in forum.

- The dial setting is probably normal, if I turn the knob 3-4 mm from RED, I get luke warm air.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

a3inverter
United States of America
a3inverter

Post by a3inverter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:19 am

Now that the weather has turned colder here in New England, I have found that my climate control isn't working as expected. Perhaps I spoke too soon in January :).

Conveniently, I have VIDA/DICE now and found last week that the CCM was consistently throwing a CCM-0006 Fan Motor Passenger Compartment Temperature sensor Signal too high/Signal missing fault.

The sensor itself seems to be working fine as it was detecting changes in temperature (via VIDA) as I turned the temp knobs up and down.

I pulled the CCM yesterday (following all appropriate battery disconnect procedures) and found that the Temp Sensor Fan wasn't clogged and did spin freely. The channel rearward to the thermistor/temp sensor was clear as well. It had vacuumed this out about a year ago and got a big ball of dust out of it. I managed to rig things up so I could get the car running and see the fan in action and voila! the fan was not turning in Auto mode which seems to relate to the CCM-0006 fault.

Going to hit the junkyard next weekend to see if I can get a used Temp Sensor Fan (best price for a new one seems to be between $140-180 USD)

Went for a drive after I got it all back together again and In Auto mode, the main climate blower fan will increase in speed and output as I move the temp knobs up and down. This seems to be the expected behavior. Heading out for a ride now with my instant read cooking thermometer to see how the behavior changes during a 30 minute drive. The previous behavior was that everything worked great for the first 15 minutes or so, then started to blow cold air.

a3inverter
United States of America
a3inverter

Post by a3inverter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 am

Based on the readings from my thermometer, with a knob setting of 72 (right in the middle), there was a steady rise in temp from 46F to 127F over the first 12 minutes of driving around, then the temp began to drop, getting to 81F by 22 minutes of driving.

When I increased the knob setting to 76, the temps increased again for a short time but then began to fall just as quickly.

Turning the knobs to full heat (which I understand to be an "override" setting) the temp got back up to 130F.

Here's my hypothesis:

Given that the purpose of the little fan behind the CCM is to keep the air directed at the temp probe constant while the CCM and surrounding electronics generate heat and thus increase the ambient temperature of where the temp probe lives (this purpose I have come to understand from reading here and other sites), and given that my fan doesn't appear to be functioning, I hypothesize that as the ambient temp around the sensor increases, it signals to the CCM that the cabin is hotter than it really is. The CCM in turn does the appropriate things to attempt to reduce the temperature of the cabin.

Once I get a new fan in place, I'll run the test again.