IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

seat swap power for non power in older vehical

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the current (third) generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80.

This is a forum for owners or prospective owners of the third generation V70, second generation S80, and its siblings built on the EUCD platform.
williamecclesjardine
Year and Model: xc70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
williamecclesjardine

seat swap power for non power in older vehical

Post by williamecclesjardine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:00 am

We presently own an xc70 2009.
Have owned previously 14 others back to an68 142.
We have just bought an 83 winibago 23 foot long warrier AND are wanting to replace the seats, driver abd passinger, with volvo seats. POWER type heaters and all , going to the wrecers for them.
HOW MUCH ?? Wireing harness and to what point do I need to remove from the doner vehical to cause them to work in the winibago?
Thank you for your assistance.
Wm.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: seat swap power for non power in older vehical

Post by oragex » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:44 pm

May I suggest looking for S80 seats in the first place. To me, these were the most comfortable ones. Even then, I seem to remember there were two models of seat cushion in the the S80, a slightly less comfy on the least equipped models, and a better one on the top S80 trims. In the picture, the left is a lower trim, the right is a top of the line trim: just see how fatter are the side bolsters in the right seat. Might have varied with years as well.
Only then I would look for an XC70 seat, then for an S60 upper trim seat. The XC90 seats will sit higher so it's different a bit.
The S60R seats are really comfy but harder to find. But for a Winibago nothing beats an S80 seat in terms on being plushy and comfy for a long ride.
Around 2004 the seats in some models were completely changed.
Another great tip: most of the times the driver seat is worn: sagging, less support, worn leather: it is not that hard to swap in the bottom cushion from a passenger seat.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (139.09 KiB) Viewed 222 times

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

williamecclesjardine
Canada
williamecclesjardine

Post by williamecclesjardine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 pm

What about all the power wires? How much of the wire harness should I take from the doner vehical ? Just to the switch or beyond to what piont?

williamecclesjardine
Canada
williamecclesjardine

Post by williamecclesjardine » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 am

Thank you for all your help.
Looked for s80s unfortunately all found, even xc90 were all torn up on the seat pad . SO found a beautiful set of blue gray 850s in cloth looked like they had been hardoy sat on.
4hank you again
Wm.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:37 pm

I hope you took a good piece of the main harness that came up from the floor. This will help in splicing and wiring as it is easier than cutting up post harness connector. If you did not, it may be worth going back and looking at the harness and at least taking pictures of it so you can see the wire colors and figure out what each feed does based on the wire diagrams.

When working on seats in the past I was forced to move various motors so that I could recover the seat skins out of the car. Each motor has a function and a usually two wires. I was able to pull connectors and provide power to get them to move so I could take off the seat skin. In the event you cannot find a wire diagram you can follow motor wires to the harness and/or seat computer module and hunt and peck through the process. It would be optimal to stay on the other side of the wire harness - that way you are just playing with power feeds. I don't think the 850 had any special safety features - if they did you will have to figure that out.

For your project the main issue will be getting the seats to mount. Maybe you get lucky and they bolt in. If not you will have to find some person to do some welding. On this point the job has to be really good as it is safety critical. Assuming the worst you want to make sure any modifications do not impact the movement of the seat on the tracks. You will have to also figure out the seat belt set up. This could be tricky but not too large an obstacle. I would imagine you may have to use your original belts and carry over the seat latch. Seat belts are very important and an improper one could cause serious damage to the body in an accident. Once you have this sorted it is time to get your wiring in order.

I suggest you start with the right year and model wiring diagrams. You should be able to figure out what wires do what and then get power to the seats. Did the seats you picked have the controls on the seat itself? For the seat warmers you will need to add a relay and some switches. Plenty of write ups and options for retro fit kits just read a couple articles and you will understand. Once you get the idea of how the systems work it shouldn't be too bad to get wired.

My biggest concerns are mounting the seat and the seat belt as these two items impact safety. If the Winnebago came with Volvo seats and it plops right in you are almost there.