IPD sale Volvo Parts

The secret to an xc70 radiator drain valve

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the current (third) generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80.

This is a forum for owners or prospective owners of the third generation V70, second generation S80, and its siblings built on the EUCD platform.
headrc
Year and Model: 1998 v70xc

Volvo Repair Database The secret to an xc70 radiator drain valve

Post by headrc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi folks,

I am in the process of doing a radiator flush and anti-freeze replacement on my 2012 Volvo XC70. However turning the drain valve counter clockwise to where it stops does not produce any drainage. Is there some other secret to this valve? Thanks RH

crlande
Year and Model: 240DL;850;S70
United States of America

Re: The secret to an xc70 radiator drain valve

Post by crlande » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Be glad it did not break! I gently go for the lower rad hose. Have had too many issues with those valves.

headrc

Post by headrc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 pm

Nods ....I have learned to be careful ...but I really would like to use the valve. Are you supposed to just turn it counterclockwise? Or do you also need to pull it out or something? I can't imagine why I get not a drop of drainage and wondered if I was doing something wrong.

crlande
Year and Model: 240DL;850;S70
United States of America

Post by crlande » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Sorry, I do not remember. I have unscrewed some all the way out and there is a o-ring you do not want to lose or distort.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Not an answer to the draincock but important: The engines with thermostat on block (V8, all 3.2 short 6, 3.0T short 6, P1 5 cylinder, and all P3, and any platform with the Drive-E 4 cylinder) are all designed to use the cooling system vacuum evacuator and fill system. Absent having that tool then you take upper hose, the one NOT going to thermostat housing, and fill it with 50/50 coolant/pure water mix to get the block filled up. The coolant often does not get into block due to the upper hose routing and can't go through closed thermostat. You have HUGE risk of engine damage if you don't get the coolant mix into block. Also, you aren't getting nearly a complete drain if you don't find the block drain on back of engine (two on V8, one each for each bank) so the block drains. The same captured/block issue exists for draining that exists for filling.

I take off lower hose for draining. Most of the late models have slow to drain valves and the risk of breakage is there.

headrc

Post by headrc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks for that information. This is the first I have heard of the vacuum evacuator etc.. In fact VIDA does not describe anything like that or the block drain at the rear of the engine for my Volvo. You are speaking of a 2012 Volvo xc70....right? Right now, using my drain cock I cannot even get any coolant out ....and the drain cock is not broke.

headrc

Post by headrc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 am

In response to Jimmy57's response ....will a Cooling System Refiller Kit like the one on the link below answer this need? Anyone else dealing with this problem/need as well?

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:28 am

That kit would do it.
The radiator drains I run across on lots of makes often fails to drain. Gelled coolant and swollen rubber seals can stop them from draining.
On the short 6 engines to fill block you can slide the pinch clamp up on the short hose from rad to the trans cooler on left (driver's) side and slip that hose off the cooler nipple. Use a section of heater hose or clear vinyl tubing that fits the nipple and put funnel into the hose. Add the premixed coolant/water and fill that. It will take about one gallon but you'll add, water 30 sec and add again a few times.
I know all this sounds like a pain but lots of vehicles these days have cooling systems with the revised tstat location and will have dry engine blocks. Or if the block drain wasn't opened then the block coolant didn't get changed.........

headrc

Post by headrc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks Jimmy ...yeah what a pain but I know you know what you are doing. I tried to find one of these kits at the big box stores for rent or loan ...but they do not have them. It seems nobody takes your advice and uses them. I really appreciate your help on this. Richard

headrc

Post by headrc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Jimmy ...one other question regarding that kit, since it has lots of adapters ...couldn't you just connect to the expansion tank to accomplish the task?