IPD sale Volvo Parts

2008 V70 vibration/wobble

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the current (third) generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80.

This is a forum for owners or prospective owners of the third generation V70, second generation S80, and its siblings built on the EUCD platform.
Viljam
Year and Model: V70 2008
Estonia

Re: 2008 V70 vibration/wobble

Post by Viljam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 am

Hi,

I know how it feels...

I'm not closer to solution:( I tried third set of tires, but nothing changed. Its still there. Also replaced steering rod. So only thing, what's left from suggestions if front wheel bearing.... I will try soon with right one.

To Slowtype; Did you replaced front wheel bearing and no difference? Did you notice any difference after lifting car up for a while?

To Voltech1; Two years ago I have replaced rear trailing arm bushings. My opinion is, it's need to be something what's rotate. Wheels, bearings and not very much more...

Still open for ideas and hopeful to solve this problem!

slowtype
Year and Model: 2009 XC70
United States of America

Post by slowtype » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 am

I have not replaced my front wheel bearings yet.

Viljam
Estonia

Post by Viljam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 am

I was away few weeks. I'm 99% sure about drive shafts and support bearing. I will have on next week checked front and rear axle once again.

Shocks should be also fine, rear ones are brand new, Sachs. Lately I did also shock test, all four over 90% performing.

I noticed today, that on really low speed, on walking speed, I can feel how on certain place I'm like drive over some small obstacle on the ground. Like there is a bump somewhere. I lifted up car and monitored all wheels by spinning them around, everything is perfect condition... What may it be? Can front wheel bearing worn down and give symptoms like this? Real Mystery!

If anybody has some idea, let me know please. Next task will be for me changing front wheel bearing I guess...

Viljam

dj_v70
Year and Model: v70 2003

Post by dj_v70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Since turning engine off in N doesn't change the wobble, then it is unlikely to be engine. As such, concentrate on drive train, wheels, suspension, etc

I'd try to re-create it by putting front end up in the air and run engine in D up to 20mi/hr or so. If you can re-create it, you can probably see it or hear it when appoaching (carefully) that corner of the car while wheels still spinning.

Since it appears at walking speed. I'd also try walking next to it while helper drives the car. You might hear/see a difference in one corner of the car narrowing your search.

Good luck!

Viljam
Estonia

Post by Viljam » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:29 am

Hi,

Thank you for input!

I tried to do what you suggested, lift up the front end and then examine what's going on there. Unfortunately, ABS and ESP and some other lights came on dashboard and could not finish my experiment. Maybe there is some may, how I can bypass temporary this electronic assistants?

I will do the walking also beside the car and look.

Viljam

dj_v70
Year and Model: v70 2003

Post by dj_v70 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 am

Sorry, I have only tried front end in air and wheels spinning with a early P2 FWD. I know that spin control can be turned off on your model but don't want to advise further on the subject considering that I don't fully understand the implications on a P3.

Any luck walking besides car to isolate location?

Viljam
Estonia

Post by Viljam » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:23 am

Hi,

I can't see anything strange while walking beside the car on slow speed.....

May somebody suggest, how can turn off spin control and other assistants temporary for trying to lift up the front of car and simulate driving?

If I could do that, it would be step closer to the solution.

Viljam