IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2014 S60 T5 P0016 code triggering CEL, 58k miles, runs perfectly

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
Tundra12
Year and Model: 2014 S60 T5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Tundra12

2014 S60 T5 P0016 code triggering CEL, 58k miles, runs perfectly

Post by Tundra12 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:35 am

Hello, just starting to research an issue that has come up with my wife’s car. As the title says, 2014 S60 T5, 58k miles, absolutely NO issues whatsoever. The car runs perfectly, no symptoms, but the “check engine light” came on yesterday. I checked the code with a very basic code reader, it showed P0016, with the same code “pending” several other times. I cleared the code and began searching for its meaning. Read a little, and was intimidated by it being timing related. I am, what I would call, a parts changer! I’m no mechanic, but I have no issue changing sensors or any parts for that matter, but the word timing makes me nervous. I just wanted to check here to see what others have experienced with a relatively newer car, with no other symptoms, other than the check engine light, with a P0016 code.....? By the way, started the car today, it ran for approximately 5 mins, and the same code returned. The oil is full, decent condition, and no obvious signs of running rough or stalling or anything. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HectorVolvo
United States of America
HectorVolvo

Re: 2014 S60 T5 P0016 code triggering CEL, 58k miles, runs perfectly

Post by HectorVolvo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Tundra12 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:35 am
Hello, just starting to research an issue that has come up with my wife’s car. As the title says, 2014 S60 T5, 58k miles, absolutely NO issues whatsoever. The car runs perfectly, no symptoms, but the “check engine light” came on yesterday. I checked the code with a very basic code reader, it showed P0016, with the same code “pending” several other times. I cleared the code and began searching for its meaning. Read a little, and was intimidated by it being timing related. I am, what I would call, a parts changer! I’m no mechanic, but I have no issue changing sensors or any parts for that matter, but the word timing makes me nervous. I just wanted to check here to see what others have experienced with a relatively newer car, with no other symptoms, other than the check engine light, with a P0016 code.....? By the way, started the car today, it ran for approximately 5 mins, and the same code returned. The oil is full, decent condition, and no obvious signs of running rough or stalling or anything. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hey bud I have the exact problem with my 2014 S60 T5. My computer reads P0016 that’s the only code that I have anyways I took it in to Volvo of Ontario here in California the service provider told me it was the VVT Solenoid so they replaced the Intake Solenoid but that didn’t fix the problem he then said next was the VVT Hub and quoted me at $800 bucks to replace it. I said no thanks I was wondering if you got yours fixed if so what was the problem thanks.

Tundra12
United States of America
Tundra12

Post by Tundra12 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I actually ended up going to a local guy that was supposedly “good with Volvo’s.” He explained to me about a part that was somewhat internal, something like a oil pressure reset switch or something. He had seen it before. Him being able to fix it would’ve required several specialty tools from Volvo to hold everything in place during diss assembly. I never researched it further. Ended up trading the car to a Volvo dealership. I told them during the trade that it had a check engine light on, wasn’t sure what it was. They never questioned it at all. Traded, left, and the salesman later contacted me regarding something else. He made numerous comments about the “headache” my trade ended up being. I feel that I did my part by earning them of the light. I’m sure this is of no help to you, just telling you my experience. Hope you get it squared away.

Tundra12
United States of America
Tundra12

Post by Tundra12 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Warning*