IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

C70 Hardtop alignment Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
qcbob
Year and Model: 2013 C70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
qcbob

C70 Hardtop alignment

Post by qcbob » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 pm

I allowed my top to pause in the partially open position so I could more easily vacuum and clean some areas that are hard to get to otherwise. Now, when I close it, the pins at the front (above front windshield) do not exactly align with the holes and top will not close. Is there a place to adjust these in some way. Less than 1/2 cm off, but far enough that the pin does not slide into hole. I fear something bent very slightly under the weight of the top when I left it partially open. I do not want to "force" it closed for fear of bending something, but I'm sure I can get it closed if I need to. Any advice is appreciated.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: C70 Hardtop alignment

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:49 pm

with the front section stopped short of letting the panel drop those pins towards their ports grab that panel and manually move it to where it is squarely aligned. Now close it with assistance and help it if necessary. Once closed open it and let it go down and then put it back up. The hydraulic circuits that have two parallel cylinders in them can be manually moved an then it closes oddly. If the top continues to do this then a careful check should be made to see that nothing fell into linkage and causes a drag that makes it move repeatedly to a crooked positioning.

qcbob
United States of America
qcbob

Post by qcbob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Thank you. I was able to help it into place and it closes fine. I have cycled it a couple of times, same result - pins do not line up. I see the cylinders, but am not sure how to adjust. Especially since they have some load on them when the top is not all the way up, after which the cylinders are not so accessible (or at least I can't see them with the headliner in place). The linkage is clear and clean. I have made an appointment with the dealer, but I am sure it will be a $145 minimum and hopefully they don't the tell me parts need replacing. Any other help is welcome. Thank You!

jimmy57
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 pm

You can use 3in1 oil and lube all the hinging points where you see it has two pieces that bend.

qcbob
United States of America
qcbob

Re: C70 Hardtop alignment  Topic is solved

Post by qcbob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Lube did not make anything move. Brought to dealer :( and they adjusted plates with pins at front of top just enough so they would slip into holes at above front windshield when top pressure applied. It works pretty good (almost 100% of the time, but not quite). To get it back to "like new", mechanic said it could range from 3 to 6 hours time depending on how many places needed to be adjusted. If you adjust one spot too much, it throws off the other section, and so on. Opted to just live with it because it would probably never really be right if we starting messing with it too much. Lesson learned is to not leave top partially open for any reason as the weight is just too much.

jimmy57
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

another thing to look for is the plastic head popping off the top linkage stop bolt. open dtop to mid travel point where it is ll up in the air. If you look at right and left sides just under edge of the rear inside upholstery trim panel for the rear seat sides (inside quarter panel trim?) you will see a stud with head and lock nut. If it veers left then the right one could have lost that stud's head cover or if it goes to right then the left is the one. The stud may not be available. If not then the nut is loosened and the stud adjusted out (to the rear of car) maybe 1.5 turns to make up for the thickness of the plastic stud cover/bumper.