IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

not starting

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

940tvolvo
Year and Model: 1991 Volvo 940turbo
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
940tvolvo

not starting

Post by 940tvolvo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Let me apologize first I am going to try and explain my issue with my 1991 940 Turbo Volvo. Please bear with me.

So going back approx. 6 month I was driving my car when the lights started flickering and the car acted like it was going to die. I thought okay maybe I need to put gas in, so I stopped at gas station and put gas in. When I tried to start the car it wouldn't start, there was nothing, ended up getting a jump however barely made it to my mother's house, and once I turned it off it would not restart. Ended up having to have it towed home.

At that point, I figured it was the alternator so I bought a new alternator, installed it and tested the voltage was putting out 14 volts. Great problem solved or so I thought, drove the car about a week and same thing car died wouldn't start had it towed home again. Tested alternator again and it wasn't putting out any voltage, so I went ahead and bought another alternator and again installed it, tested it and again read correctly however it would only run 2-3 days and then it would die. So tested the battery and battery the was dead. Put the battery on the charger and charged it completely and again ran fine for a couple of days until the battery had no more juice. So, I would just put the charger on it every night making sure the battery had a full charge before I drove it. Drove it this was for 2-3 weeks until the battery just wouldn't hold a charge at which time I bought a new battery. Awesome thought again it was fixed, but no it wasn't.

Long story short ended up buying another alternator and another battery and still charge weren't charging. My roommate showed me that if I polarized the alternator then the charging system worked perfect, the alternator was charging the way it should, but every time I drove the car I'd have to polarize the alternator and the alternator and bulb failure warning lights started coming on when I would press on the brake pedal. (weird)

But, a little bit before Christmas I was driving my car and my car just died on me. It would not take a jump the car turns over but won't start. Sounds like it got no compression, my roommate thought it was the timing belt. He tested the car to see if it is getting a spark and it is so he said timing belt is good. I checked the fuses and they are good.

I really need some help with this cause I have no idea and my roommate does not want to mess with the car anymore. And I do not have the money to take it to the shop.

Any and all advice/help would be so much appreciated. Thank you in advance and sorry for the lengthy post.

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Re: not starting

Post by 93Regina » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm

940tvolvo wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm
1991 940 Turbo Volvo.
Ground alternator...with a wire attached to engine block. And, check fitness of alternator's positive cable going to battery's positive. Battery cables can corrode internally.

Tell your whiz-head to buzz off....."polarized the alternator"....one polarizes a generator (regulator), not an alternator.

Kick engine RPM up to 2200, then back to idle, then engage transmission, and drive.