IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Trouble

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

natesvolvo
Year and Model: 2002 S60 2.4t
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
natesvolvo

Crankshaft Position Sensor Trouble

Post by natesvolvo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:03 pm

Hey all!

I have a 2002 S60 2.4t with 150,000 miles on it and its stumped me. The car definitely has a Crankshaft Position Sensor problem but everytime i swap out the CPS the engine runs like crap. Raising up and down in RPM and having trouble just running in general. The only code i ever get is your typical run of the mill CPS code. But when i put the new CPS in it throws a Engine Service Required light that goes away if the original CPS is put back in and the code is cleared. With the current CPS the car throws a "Reduced Engine Performance" Code over 3500 RPM but it disappears after about 5 seconds. The car seems to have trouble shifting ofver 3500 RPM. The tach just kind of jumps around up there. It also jumps around as the car is starting which is a whole other issue. The car will start fine in the morning but if im running errands it will increasingly be harder to start. Sputtering while cranking, Surging at idle after starting, and sounding like it has to reset itself midst cranking are the issues there. I figure most of the issues stem from the CPS but i cant figure out why a new CPS makes the car run so bad. Ive tried multiple new sensors but none do the trick. Things that i have replaced so far (This list is a little big but these items were worn and needed to go) Spark plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors, fuel filter, Camshaft position sensor, Crankshaft position sensor :roll: , PCV Breather system, Vacuum lines, TCV, and the CVVT solenoid.
Before i bought the car the dealer put a new timing belt on it.

Any input would be appreciated GREATLY. I just want this awesome car to run well. thank you!

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor Trouble

Post by Georgeandkira » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:00 am

How long before you took possession of the car was the timing belt done?
At any point have you had the codes read by a VIDA or Volvo specific reader?
Just how many crankshaft positioning sensors? Name brand Volvo or aftermarket....just askin'.
Maybe the old style ETM is the source of your troubles?
Fuel injectors too!

You must've done something terrible in a former life.

natesvolvo
Year and Model: 2002 S60 2.4t
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
natesvolvo

Post by natesvolvo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

sorry should've made this clear. 2002 Volvo S60 2.4t. The timing belt was done the day before I bought it. I'm not sure of the exact crank sensor code but theres only one and it's something like camshaft bank 1 crankshaft circut low. something like that.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:22 pm

So are you replacing the crank position sensor behind block on top of bell housing or the cam position sensor buried under the motor mount bracket on exhaust cam end?