IPD sale Volvo Parts

Radio Dead and blows fuse

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
BryonTheCanadian
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
Canada

Radio Dead and blows fuse

Post by BryonTheCanadian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi guys my 2006 xc70 has a dead radio and cigarette lighter and blows its fuse immediately. Volvo dealer indicates its could be the CEM ? and wants me to spend more money to investigate. Does this sound right ? i know it could be something else like a wire. Can a bad CEM blow a fuse ? any other ideas ?

EngineeringBloke
Year and Model: 2006 2.5T S60
United States of America

Re: Radio Dead and blows fuse

Post by EngineeringBloke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 pm

You might have two related issues.

The 12v socket is on its own fused wire. Fuse is under dash. Wire can pull out of back of socket - particularly if the panel with the radio, climate unit and 12v socket is moved.

Radio fuse is in fuse panel at side of driver's door.

Perhaps the 12v socket wire is shorting a ground to a 12v supply spot on the radio and causing the radio fuse to go, while no power at the 12v socket as it is unplugged?

No reason for this to need to involve CEM.

Suggest you inspect the back of the radio console panel. Don't forget to put the key in and turn to position 2 prior to reconnecting the battery at the end of the work to avoid airbag light being stuck on until dealer resets it (at cost).

EngineeringBloke
United States of America

Post by EngineeringBloke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 pm

(although I am not sure there are an places where 12v is exposed on the radio.) Please confirm that the radio fuse is the one going.

BryonTheCanadian
Canada

Post by BryonTheCanadian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:27 am

Great answers, will look this evening, please explain 2 points in more detail 1, where might i find the fuse for the 12 volt socket exactly ?? 2nd please explain the procedure for avoiding the airbag light... just put key in and turn to 2nd position and reconnect battery ?

BryonTheCanadian
Canada

Post by BryonTheCanadian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:24 am

Up Date turns out no fuses are blown :( still need to check 12 volt adapter. Not sure where its located.. Bryon

EngineeringBloke
United States of America

Post by EngineeringBloke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Recently someone reported that by turning the ignition key to position 2, a number of circuits are turned to the on position, then when the battery is reconnected, power goes to the enabled circuits instead of surging and causing a problem with the airbag check light.

That light can be cleared at the dealer and perhaps with the VIDA tool.

So all fuses in under dash and end of dash fuse panels are ok?
Is the radio dead and the 12v socket unpowered too?

The back seat 12v socket is powered through the same fuse. Does it work?

If all the fuses are OK, then you may just have to check behind the radio, climate and 12v panel. From memory:

Open driver's door and trunk
Disconnect battery
Put on handbrake
Move shifter away from console (key in position 1 or 2) to avoid shifter lock
Lift up shifter base (may have to remove the little cup holder console between drive and passenger)
Rotate shifter base 90 degrees so front is away from the radio panel
Undo 2 screws at bottom of radio panel (cover may need to be removed)
Gently pull the base of the radio panel towards you (you may want a towel to put underneath to avoid scratches)
Once top of panel is free, tilt top towards you

You should then be able to see around the back of the panel and inspect it and the 12v socket and its connector.

BryonTheCanadian
Canada

Post by BryonTheCanadian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:10 am

UPDATE 3, Yes no fuses blown, both 12 volt plus dead, radio dead but yet CD retracks and ejects, passenger seat is dead but seat heat works fine, and rear back up sensors do not function ... so reap 2x 12 volt plugs, radio and pass seat and rear back up sensors not functioning ... could be all unrelated and just dead but dealer pointing to CEM..

EngineeringBloke
United States of America

Post by EngineeringBloke » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm

You have an odd set of symptoms. I would not expect them to be caused by a single failure in the CEM. I tried to add a little detail below for you - let us know if this is right. I have not looked at any detailed wiring diagrams, and the set in my Haynes manual is not great. I would try the battery disconnect and then hold the positive and negative terminals together for a few seconds. Wait a few minutes after locking the car to disconnect the battery (trunk/hatch open).

1. In the audio head unit, the radio does not work, but CD eject is ok. The eject might just be a local response to the eject button while there is power within the unit. And if the eject is working then there is clearly power within the head unit. Do you get any sound for any setting of the head unit? Is anything lit up on the head unit - any station display - can you scan and does the scanning stop for a station? This might be an issue with the radio antenna amplifier only or the sound output.

2. The 12v (cigarette lighter) sockets are fused and have a relay which should turn on when the ignition key is turned from position 0. I am not sure that the CEM is involved with the turn on.

3. The passenger seat motors do not respond, but its heat works. Also drivers seat is fine. In order to support the seat position memory, there is a passenger side computer module. I think the heat is just controlled by the dash switch and separate from the position.

4. The backup sensors are not working. Not sure about these. Probably fused via the fuse panel at the back of the car.

BryonTheCanadian
Canada

Post by BryonTheCanadian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks for all the warm support i may have found the fix from this site..https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... 50#p440350 seems its a CEM relay... One questions to all your wiring hackers.. Instead of changing the CEM why could i not bring hot power from a new source and light up the problem items.. 12 v adapter, and pass seat and radio ?