IPD sale Volvo Parts

DRL and high beams?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Ducatiguy
Year and Model: 2004 XC70
United States of America

DRL and high beams?

Post by Ducatiguy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 pm

New to the group here. New to the XC70 as well. 2004. I am a bit confused by the DRL's and the high beams and think I might have an issue with one or both.

High beams first. I switch them on with the stalk (yes i have the headlight switch at 12:00) and the only thing that happens is my low beams (HID's) elevate higher via a motor. Is this all there is to the high beams or should I be getting lighting from the round inboard halogen lights as well?

DRL's. With the headlight switch either off or at 12:00 I am only getting low beam headlights. Are these the DRL's. Or are the DRL's the round inner halogen lamps?

TIA,

Graham

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Re: DRL and high beams?

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:18 pm

The low beams are the running lights.

The high beams are both the elevated low beams and the separate second bulb in the round reflector. If that one doesn't work it's time to start checking fuses and the like.

cn90
United States of America

Post by cn90 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Check your owners manual.
Also, park the car in front of a glass at a coffee shop etc. to check the low beam, high beam etc.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

Rattnalle
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 am

The manual is quite thin on information regarding the HID headlights for MY04. It just says warning high voltage don't tinker, from what I remember.

Ducatiguy
Year and Model: 2004 XC70
United States of America

Post by Ducatiguy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:52 am

Rattnalle wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:18 pm
The low beams are the running lights.

The high beams are both the elevated low beams and the separate second bulb in the round reflector. If that one doesn't work it's time to start checking fuses and the like.
[/q

This is what i thought. I am pretty sure the high beam switch is good, I get the elevated low beams and the blue indicator on the dash. The fuses are good as well. I am thinking it is the relay. Have been told it is under the dash below the steering wheel. Any idea which one it is?

Rattnalle
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 am

Sorry no. But there's definitely an audible click from somewhere under the dash when turning on the highs in my car with the same xenon headlights.

shiloh51933
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
United States of America

Post by shiloh51933 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 am

Ducatiguy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 pm
New to the group here. New to the XC70 as well. 2004. I am a bit confused by the DRL's and the high beams and think I might have an issue with one or both.

High beams first. I switch them on with the stalk (yes i have the headlight switch at 12:00) and the only thing that happens is my low beams (HID's) elevate higher via a motor. Is this all there is to the high beams or should I be getting lighting from the round inboard halogen lights as well?

DRL's. With the headlight switch either off or at 12:00 I am only getting low beam headlights. Are these the DRL's. Or are the DRL's the round inner halogen lamps?

TIA,

Graham
The day running lights or city lights are the round lights closest to the grill and you switch must be at 9:00 for them to activate when sunlight hits the solar sensors by the radio console. Bi-xenon headlights for the 2004 XC70 use same bulb, aka bi-xenon bulbs or DR2 bulbs. The reflector is motorized to adjust upwards when activated. The Xenon bulbs/motorized reflector provides excellent lighting as a low beam but the Halogen housings have separate high beam bulbs/reflectors. With the halogen housings you get 4 beams of lighting instead of just 2 beams with light when you activate the high beams. The day running lights/city lights were basically opted in exchange for a separate high beam with the bi-xenon housings .
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

Rattnalle
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 am

shiloh51933 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 am
Ducatiguy wrote:

TIA,

Graham
The day running lights or city lights are the round lights closest to the grill and you switch must be at 9:00 for them to activate when sunlight hits the solar sensors by the radio console. Bi-xenon headlights for the 2004 XC70 use same bulb, aka bi-xenon bulbs or DR2 bulbs. The reflector is motorized to adjust upwards when activated. The Xenon bulbs/motorized reflector provides excellent lighting as a low beam but the Halogen housings have separate high beam bulbs/reflectors. With the halogen housings you get 4 beams of lighting instead of just 2 beams with light when you activate the high beams. The day running lights/city lights were basically opted in exchange for a separate high beam with the bi-xenon housings .
Unless they ruined the headlights for the US market then no

The xenon headlights do use the low beams for both low and high but they also have a separate halogen high beam bulb fitted to the round reflector towards the middle. That's where "bi" comes from. The high beams combine both for excellent light output. They're also great when adding xenon to the high beam fitting as well since startup time isn't much of an issue.

There isn't a separate 5w bulb in the reflector as there is on a halogen car. There is at least on the European market a 5w White bulb in the indicator reflector but I think you just have the glowing indicator bulb over there.

The light sensor by the radio on a P2 car is only used for interior lighting adjustment on stock cars. There are however function extenders available that use this for exterior lighting control as well.

shiloh51933
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
United States of America

Post by shiloh51933 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 am
shiloh51933 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 am
Ducatiguy wrote:

TIA,

Graham
Unless they ruined the headlights for the US market then no

The xenon headlights do use the low beams for both low and high but they also have a separate halogen high beam bulb fitted to the round reflector towards the middle. That's where "bi" comes from. The high beams combine both for excellent light output. They're also great when adding xenon to the high beam fitting as well since startup time isn't much of an issue.

There isn't a separate 5w bulb in the reflector as there is on a halogen car. There is at least on the European market a 5w White bulb in the indicator reflector but I think you just have the glowing indicator bulb over there.

The light sensor by the radio on a P2 car is only used for interior lighting adjustment on stock cars. There are however function extenders available that use this for exterior lighting control as well.
I have to disagree with you, I own a 2004 XC70 with the factory bi-xenon headlights/city lights. When I activate my high beams, the reflector housing adjust upwards and that's it, the city lights don't activate. The solar sensors by the radio turn off the low beams and activate the day running lights. If I shine my flashlight at these solar sensors you audibly hear the relay click and the day running lights located near grill inside of the headlight housings are activated. The interior lighting also gets brighter when the solar sensors get light. This is my experience with our 2004 XC70 w/factory Bi-Xenon lighting. My friend Dennis had a 2004 XC90 with factory Bi-Xenon lighting and I believe it was set up like my XC70.
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

Rattnalle
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

I'll be darned. I managed to find a reference to auto DRL at least for the S80. That's not on my car at least. It's always on. Not that if want it any other way.

However if that means the second high beam bulb is gone I stand by my previous statement that they've crippled the headlights by removing half of the full beam light.