IPD sale Volvo Parts

High Battery draw S80 T6 2002

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Michael666
Year and Model: 2002 s80
Germany

High Battery draw S80 T6 2002

Post by Michael666 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:15 am

Hi, i'm back here with yet more problems. I really need to fix the high draw issue. The car draws over 400mA, locked, low Alarm and I waited 40mins to measure it. That is way too high. I tried to pull the fuses to see, but i only managed 2 and on the third the alarm went off. Is there a way to test it without the stupid siren going off?? :cry: :x
Any help is greatly appreciated

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Re: High Battery draw S80 T6 2002

Post by oragex » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Even if you remove the siren fuse, the alarm is still triggered so the systems will draw some current which will false your measurement.

I think you will need to test the draw with the car unlocked, I guess trunk, dr door and hood opened. Not sure how the S80 works, but on the S60 it takes exactly 10 min for all computers to shut down which is good to know when measuring small current leaks.

Anyhow, there may be several possible causes, I found the rear plate lights corroded on mine (these share the connector with the trunk switch, under the trunk cover trim)

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Re: High Battery draw S80 T6 2002

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 pm

The alarm has a built in battery - so that when you disconnect the main battery it will still sound. You can access the siren and pull the connector. On some Volvo's you can get to it buy pulling the passenger headlight and reaching in there. Otherwise you need to take off the wheel well liner which stinks b/c you have the darn rivets. This assumes the siren is your issue.

I would avoid the fuse that sounds the alarm and pull every other fuse one at a time and check to see if it is indeed the alarm by watching your current draw. It cold be a shorted wire on one of the doors or similar. If you find no change then attack the siren connector.

Sirens are known to go bad as the acid in the internal battery leaks and takes out the board. You may just be lucky and be able to save it if it is still working. Plenty of write ups.