IPD sale Volvo Parts

2006 S60 Power Issue

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
jrciop
Year and Model: 2006 S60
United States of America

2006 S60 Power Issue

Post by jrciop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Little background..
I've had this 2006 S60 2.5t VIN59, 86K Miles, and I absolutely love it..So a little of this issue has been going on for quite some time now, but it's definitely getting worse. Its battery is probably 4 or 5 years old. I replaced the alternator in November. Throughout different stages of the day, I've been testing the battery and everything looks great.

Over the past 2 or so years, it sometimes feels like it is holding back during acceleration between 15 and 45 mph, give or take. This part of it hasn't gotten any worse from what I can tell, but it's been ongoing and pretty consistent. I've only had it fully accelerate on occasion, maybe once or twice a month.

Then, before changing my alternator, my wife had taken the car out of town on a small trip, and she had the vehicle bring up the message, "Reduced Engine Performance" and she lost all acceleration. She pulled over, turned the vehicle off, and waited. When she started it back up, it ran fine and she didn't have any issues until coming back, in which she said smoke came from the engine and she had to pull over. After pulling over, again she shut it off, waited, and back on with no more issues.
I also noticed mainly during idling, that the engine feels like it's taking a deep breath, the rpms slowly come up, and go back down. Every once in a while it gives a slick kick when "breathing out."

Upon my own inspection, I noticed when the engine was hot that there was a small amount of vapor (hopefully not smoke) coming out of the dipstick. That's been going on for most of my owning this vehicle. More recently I've had this fluctuation appear to be effecting even the radio, sounded like it would turn itself up and back down. And of course the way I found out was when I had turned it up, but it was on it's low swing, and came back up loud as hell haha.

The only thing that's not the exact same as it always was is the new alternator. The standard amperage is 140, and I believe the new one is 160. I don't really know better if it's a bad thing to do or not, but I'm hoping to get some insight from you folk here.

I'm definitely trying to figure out anything I can without taking it to a shop. Of course I can't do everything myself, but I'm very willing to try. I appreciate any help of any kind guys, thanks for reading.
Last edited by jrciop on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America

Re: 2006 S60 Power Issue

Post by cn90 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Any error codes (make sure CEL light bulb is working).

Spark Plugs...I use NGK.

Fuel Filter is probably in the tank.

Do the usual checkup first: spark plugs, fuel (I use 91), air filter etc. etc.

Then worry about the "fancy" stuff later.

Another thought: dirty Throttle Body, DIY in forum.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Re: 2006 S60 Power Issue

Post by oragex » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:08 am

Welcome on the forum
Try this for the radio volume knob www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUleVk4IyDg
The smoke at the dipstick may be a clogged PCV, see youtube how to check
Does the car mileage check fine on Carfax ? Maybe inspect the pulleys on the serpentine belt with the belt off. Same for the timing belt. If buying parts, we like to get them from sites such as Fcpeuro or Ipdusa
The 160amp alt is fine, but needs to be a 2005up model, you can take a picture of the black cover sliding a camera in closeup, and take the number from the regulator cover and compare it on Fcpeuro site
2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c