IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo S60 dashboard not working properly

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Ibro
Year and Model: 2003 s60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Israel
Ibro

Volvo S60 dashboard not working properly

Post by Ibro » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 am

Hello

I have read several posts related to same problem but never got to understand a fix

volvo s60 2003 non turbo

firs the SRS signal came some time ago that it has a problem

recently the dashaboard clocks and lights and everything would switch off.. and turn back on occassionaly then off. being off most of the time.

i believe some water leaked though a previously broken tail light

the brake lights do not work but the fog brake light swithces on. when stepping on the brake i can hear like a switch in the trunk but no ligt comes out. blinkers light works fine.

what would be the easiest and best way to fix this problem as if i want to change the back fuse module it would cost more than the car itself. also i get a used part how can i be sure it will work or needs to be programmed. the dealer refuses to program it unless it is bought from them and i know of no one where i live who can do this

Appreciating your help

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Re: VOLVO s60 dashboard not working properly

Post by Georgeandkira » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:31 am

You may have 3 problems. A code reader/clearer with SRS capability would help.
1) Disconnecting things in the dash in the wrong sequence can light the SRS light. Clearing the code may be all which is necessary.
Obviously, a real problem will relight the SRS.

2) Your DIM (instrument cluster) is of the old design. It is expected to go bad due to cold, broken solder joints. It comes out easily and there are companies which repair them.

3) I would begin working on a tail light problem by inspecting each and every socket for corrosion stemming from the leak you mentioned.
Then I'd check any fuses in the "back fuse module". I know nothing about replacing this module.

Does the center brake light work?

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: VOLVO s60 dashboard not working properly

Post by oragex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 pm

As above, try fixing first the brake lights, inside the trunk, left side behind the cover is the module with the fuses for the rear electrics

Once the brakes fixed, if the DIM still acts up, it could be the common DIM failure on 2001-2003. Once fixed, try resetting the SRS message with Vida or at the Volvo dealer. The DIM must be repaired by a TV shop that works with SMD control boards (small electronic components). May also use Ebay (search 'cluster repair service') but not sure if you have these in Israel. You can also try swapping the DIM with the same year and same side numbers (google up). New one at Volvo is near $1500

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

Ibro
Israel
Ibro

Re: Volvo S60 dashboard not working properly

Post by Ibro » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks a lot for both replies
The center brake light works yes
It seems I will need to look into who can repair the DIM

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
chrism

Post by chrism » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 am

Some, or maybe most, of the components that are electronically "married" to the car via programming have a sticker on them with a printed number(s). If certain numbers on the old part's sticker and the replacement part's sticker match then the replacement will work without reprogramming. I have been able to replace both my DIM and drivers door DDM, without reprogramming them, using this method.

A GOOD used Volvo parts supplier, like Erie Volvo, knows what you can or can't do and they will know which numbers need to match. In my case, a properly matched used DIM was much less costly than to have my old one repaired.

If you end up wanting to have your existing DIM repaired you can contact Xemodex in Canada. Many Volvo owners have used their service and been happy. It will be somewhat more costly than purchasing a matched used DIM but FAR LESS expensive than a dealer supplied part.

Ibro
Israel
Ibro

Post by Ibro » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks a lot

Will i also need to replace the rear elecrtic modile fuse box as well?

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:00 am

Nobody knows yet.
Clean the sockets and check the fuses first as mentioned above.
Check connections and grounds. This is basic, first step automotive electronic diagnostics.
Replacing a fuse box/block/module is a final step.