IPD sale Volvo Parts

Hesitating when gas is pressed

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Steele1
Year and Model: 2006 xc 90 2.5t
United States of America

Hesitating when gas is pressed

Post by Steele1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello I recently purchased a a 2006 volvo xc90 with the 2.5t engine. When I'm stopped and press the gas it hesitates to accelerate. The rpms go up to idk at least 2 Grand then it goes. If I'm on a flat surface, put it in drive and let off the brake it doesn't move. Once it gets going it drives and shifts like butter. Engine runs great. No hesitation if I put it in p or n and rev it. It has had timing belt done 4000 miles ago. It has also had in the past entire turbo replaced and lots of other work done to it that was reported on the car fax. It's almost like a sticking brake but I already jacked up car and made sure brakes went sticking . W mode dosent pop up on dash or anything when pressed but I already selected manual gear shift put it in first and no diffrence. just want more opinions before I dig into it as this is my first volvo

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Re: Hesitating when gas is pressed

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Look at your tranny fluid - your car has a dipstick. Should be a driver side front with a yellow pull handle. May be hidden by a rubber hose. What color is the fluid and is the level correct? It can be a pain to pull the dipstick tube as it has a clip that keeps it from coming out. First inspect condition of the fluid with engine cold so you don't get burned and get the idea of how to remove the dip stick. Then let it idle in park and check your level. Report back.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Post by oragex » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 am

Also, is that the 6speed Geartronic or 5 speed Aisin? Careful when refilling these transmissions, usually done by the dipstick, not by removing some top bolt. As above, look at the fluid first (usually requires 3309 type), but if the fluid is already clear red (recently replaced), it may have an issue with the transmission
2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

Steele1
Year and Model: 2006 xc 90 2.5t
United States of America

Post by Steele1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:15 am

Fluid is clear red as it should be and is at proper level. I dont think it's the trans. It's more like the car is being held back. Identical to if I was to hold the brake and gas at the same time