IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Override Active Bending Headlights / Headlights Work But Are Cockeyed & Won't Return To Straight Ahead

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ShadowDancer
Year and Model: 2009 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ShadowDancer

Override Active Bending Headlights / Headlights Work But Are Cockeyed & Won't Return To Straight Ahead

Post by ShadowDancer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 am

Problem: Both headlights still provide light but are "locked" pointing 15 deg to the left. I am confident only the right headlight is the cause of the problem*Frankly, I can live without ABL - I just want the headlights to return to zero. Is there an override or manual defeat?

Symptoms: ABL button's green activation LED is blinking on and off continuously. Headlight Service required message on the info display.Hitting the ABL deactivate button does nothing. LED continues to blink. Turning the car off and on, also does nothing. Headlights refuse to reset.

Cause:: Deer ran out in front of me on the way home from a fight party. I saw it flash out of right side of my eye, braked hard and cut the wheel hard left which lead to more of a glancing blow on the right corner rather than a direct full-on hit.
I inspected the damage - no dents or scratches, but the top housing of my right front headlight is fractured in a few places.
I can live with the cracks. I'm literally going to fill them with Lexel and call it job done. Outside of the few fractures on the light housing the lens, bezels, reflectors, etc, all look pristine.

ShadowDancer
Year and Model: 2009 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ShadowDancer

Re: Override Active Bending Headlights / Headlights Work But Are Cockeyed & Won't Return To Straight Ahead

Post by ShadowDancer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:03 pm

The extent of the damages is so slight too. LF is cockeyed, RF outer housing is minimally fractured.
Image Image