IPD sale Volvo Parts

GoPro on a low quality control arm

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: GoPro on a low quality control arm

Post by abscate » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 pm

TerryJr - this gets the post of the Month award for crappy parts awareness

That is terrifying for a new part.

This will get cross-posted to the P80 and P2 Fora
1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

terryjr
Year and Model: 06 XC90 - 04 XC70
United States of America

Post by terryjr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:54 pm

abscate wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 pm
TerryJr - this gets the post of the Month award for crappy parts awareness

That is terrifying for a new part.

This will get cross-posted to the P80 and P2 Fora
Haha thanks. Just swapped on MOOG arms and it feels safe again. Needs an alignment and new tires but I could see the bushing quality was night and day.

Those ultrapower or sks arms really are unsafe right out of the box

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:01 pm

I would have liked to see how it acted over a manhole cover/rail crossing/pothole ~2-3 inches tall or deep. I think you would have seen the rear portion of the control arm moving up and down to possibly/eventually start banging against the subframe. I saw evidence of this with the 'IPD HD' control arms on my S60 a couple years back..right from the start. The S60 uses a like bushing/front suspension configuration as the XC90 with differences being mainly dimensional.

IPD may well have reworked their bushes since then. Or I could have been unlucky and merely got hold of a 'bad batch' that doesn't affect everybody. But I have no way to know. Between those LCAs, their house branded hd end links that didn't last a year (paper thin grease boot disintegrated/split open), and seeing reports how their rear adjustable stay arms were breaking on people/pulled from sale...made of welded aluminum as opposed to welded high grade steel that *every* OE design I've ever seen uses in that sort senerio... I've pretty much decided to stay away from much anything they come up with on their own. You can't go reworking an OE design without 'OE level expertise' with regard to mechanical engineering/wear testing/performance analysis. Which is probably why the vast majority of aftermarket parts suppliers strictly duplicate OE designs and *don't* try to reinvent the wheel - because proper 'R&D' involved in modifying an OE design is costly.