IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

'06 s60 Back Lights climate control/Hu-850 radio lights

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Turninstinct6
Year and Model: 2006 s60 2.5t
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Turninstinct6

'06 s60 Back Lights climate control/Hu-850 radio lights

Post by Turninstinct6 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Hi!

I own a 2006 Volvo s60 2.5t (fwd).

In this car i have the Hu-850 Radio - the one with 6 disc Cd changer.

Recently the lights on the center dash went out. Center dash was completely dark.
First I checked using new fuses - not the problem.
I then thought its gotta be the bulbs! For Climate control That was my fix! - Replaced the grey/white 5 or 6 bulbs in the back and lit up my climate control like christmas. perfect easy fix.

Radio - different story
The bulbs . . I tested a couple of them by removing them. . not a good idea b/c i have to solder them back to the circuit board. Any way i took the leeds and tapped them to a separate power source. They worked! What tha?

Problem: Therefore, Somehow my radio is getting power because the digital screen and all buttons work (functionally) but the bulbs, the bulbs, are not receiving power and lighting up when in my car.

Anyone Have the same experience? Can I buy new connectors from battery to Radio? Is there a way to fix a short in the radio wiring? Is there something other than the bulbs and connector ribbons i can check?

In the attachments I have three pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

537playing
Year and Model: 2005 S60
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
537playing

Re: '06 s60 Back Lights climate control/Hu-850 radio lights

Post by 537playing » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:45 am

I played with the bulbs on my S80 radio a few years back. From what I remembered, the bulbs must be put in correctly for polarity. Otherwise they won't light.
These users thanked the author 537playing for the post:
Turninstinct6

ToddS
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
United States of America
ToddS

Post by ToddS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Turin,

Did you solve your radio backlight problem?

I've got the same on my 2006 XC70...
Turninstinct6 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 pm
Hi!

I own a 2006 Volvo s60 2.5t (fwd).

In this car i have the Hu-850 Radio - the one with 6 disc Cd changer.

Recently the lights on the center dash went out. Center dash was completely dark.
First I checked using new fuses - not the problem.
I then thought its gotta be the bulbs! For Climate control That was my fix! - Replaced the grey/white 5 or 6 bulbs in the back and lit up my climate control like christmas. perfect easy fix.

Radio - different story
The bulbs . . I tested a couple of them by removing them. . not a good idea b/c i have to solder them back to the circuit board. Any way i took the leeds and tapped them to a separate power source. They worked! What tha?

Problem: Therefore, Somehow my radio is getting power because the digital screen and all buttons work (functionally) but the bulbs, the bulbs, are not receiving power and lighting up when in my car.

Anyone Have the same experience? Can I buy new connectors from battery to Radio? Is there a way to fix a short in the radio wiring? Is there something other than the bulbs and connector ribbons i can check?

In the attachments I have three pictures.

Turninstinct6
United States of America
Turninstinct6

Post by Turninstinct6 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 am

No i have not fixed my radio backlights(power, volume knobs, presets, audio settings dark) I was hoping you guys had a quick fix for me...with instructions!

ToddS
United States of America
ToddS

Post by ToddS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 am

Ha! I'm no help either. At the shop I took it to they said all the connections checked out. That the problem was in the control module. beyond their ability to diagnose. Their solution is to find another power source for that backlight board. Lights will always be on when ignition is on. Not dimmable. Apparently not that difficult. I said go ahead as the the backlights being on all the time will not be that noticeable. If at all. They're backlights, right?

Reading comments in other forums I couldn't find any sure cures. The guy who suggested a heat soak caught my attention, but I figured my mechanic had the easiest, cheapest, sure fire work around.

Actually he's not going to do it. One of his employee's father is a medical device technician/repairman and he helps out at night with problems like this. So I guess I sort of lucked out.

Don't know how much any of that helps you. Sorry.

ToddS
United States of America
ToddS

Post by ToddS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:01 pm

Well, further bad news. The shop just called and said the mechanic's dad, the medical device tech, said he couldn't find a way to "hot wire" the back light board.

So I'm back to the ~$1100 new radio + programming solution.

My mechanic said that used radios are a crap shoot. I hadn't heard that before, thought they were all unusable. He said some you can put in and they work straight off. Some work after programming. Some don't work at all...

I told him when the weather warmed up I'd go prowl the Pick 'n Pull yards. See if I could get 2 or 3 radios to try. He has the ability to program. Speaking of which, he didn't try re-programming this one, just the battery re-set trick. We agreed to wait until I had a used one or two to try the reprogramming as he buys a short term (2 day?) license. Might as well wait and have more than one to try it on...

Turninstinct6
United States of America
Turninstinct6

Post by Turninstinct6 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 pm

Is the control module a component of the radio? If that's the problem then soldering new bulbs on the radio back panel would not fix the problem.

ToddS
United States of America
ToddS

Post by ToddS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 pm

My understanding is that since all the back light bulbs are out it isn't the bulbs that are bad. But rather the backlight board is not getting power...

Somewhere I read a post that said something along the lines of a six prong connecter to the control module from the back light board was the likely problem. I can't find that post now...

The tech my mechanic assigned to the job felt the same way. Note: I did not see the disassembled radio. But the tech was sure his father, the medical instrument guy, could find a power source in the module to wire up the back light board. He'd done similar work for the shop before. He warned that it would be a power source only, wouldn't go through the control module for dimming, etc. In other words it would be on whenever I turned the key on.

But today the tech retrieved the radio from his father who told him he couldn't find a way to access power "cleanly." I took that to mean he could not find a way to get power to the board from within the radio itself.

So the shop owner and I decided I'd try to get a couple of used radios and try them, rather then using the programming rental fee to just see if reprogramming the existing radio worked. Some folks have said it does. But the shop owner didn't think the odds were with us and if I could get a couple of Pick 'n Pull radios, as I described above, we'd have a better chance of getting one to work on the time allowed for the software rental...