IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Buying Advice

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
dburbach85
Year and Model: 2007 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dburbach85

Buying Advice

Post by dburbach85 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm

Hey guys, I've never owned an XC90 before, but I've always wanted to. I'm going to look at a 2007 3.2 AWD with 75k on it this weekend. Anything I should look for? How much should I budget for maintaining this car? Any other buying advice? I've stayed away from these for awhile because of the transmission issues, but those seem to have been ironed out aft 06 or so, but I could be wrong about that. Thanks!

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Buying Advice

Post by oragex » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi and welcome.

At 75k it's early for larger problems, but you may expect the normal wear items - endlinks, tie rods, spring seats and perhaps control arms to need attention. The 3.2 may also need by now a thermostat - a little expensive but this item likes to fail and overheat the engine, at 12 years old it is good to replace it. In the future, it is good to read about R.E.A.D (google), not very common but costly issue. May be good to have 1-2 spare ignition coils inside the trunk (no need to replace them all) with 1-2 wrenches to replace on the spot if these fail. We usually buy parts from sites like Fcpeuro, Ipdusa and look specifically for brands like Lemforder, Sachs, Bosch. Having 1-$2000/year on the side for the first years would be a wise thing, not necessarily it will need them but it also depends how the car was maintained until now.

One easy thing I like to do when looking to a car is to undo the oil filler cap (Engine off), and look underneath: it there's a thick layer of crud it may meant the oil wasn't changed timely on that car. Some oil varnish is normal, just not a thick dark crust.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

dburbach85
Year and Model: 2007 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dburbach85

Re: Buying Advice

Post by dburbach85 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:14 am

Great advice, thank you!