IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Aftermarket Backup Camera

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
PoppySheaf
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
PoppySheaf

Aftermarket Backup Camera

Post by PoppySheaf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 am

2008 XC90.

I've been researching so many types of after market installs since I can't afford to pay the cost to incorporate it in to my navigation popup screen.

I finally decided to consider a thin monitor that can be attached to the inside of my visor preferably connected to a wireless rear camera, if not one that is wired.

Anyone had an experience with these types?

Thanks

p.s. - I've been on here for a couple of months now and I continue to be impressed with all the input and help.
Thank you XC90 friends.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Aftermarket Backup Camera

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:18 pm

I had a V50 in which I installed an aftermarket camera. I used a small external monitor and mounted it on/near the sunroof switch/hatch. I was not joyous with the end result, but it was fully functional and did not get in the way. This was about 5 years ago and the visor types were way too expensive. The screen I purchased was $30 shipped.

For the camera I bought one off Ebay which was similar to the Volvo type and integrated into the license plate light socket. Look was real good and fishing the wires was not an issue. This portion of the install was "factory like". Wiring was straight forward, had to pull off panels in back, but after that it was straight car wiring with some tucking under the carpet and door jams and then removal of the airbag cover on the front pillar to get it where I wanted. Everything I did could be undone with zero signs of install.

At the time the wireless models were not very consistent so I hard wired - the extra hour was worth it for reliability and cost.

So - to sum it up: 1) Wiring is easy; 2) buy a nice rear camera that integrates well had has solid low light numbers and is non-destructive; 3) whether you use a GPS style display like I did or get a visor mount is the big question - you have to shop and decide; and 4) don't make your decision based on wiring alone - it is easy - rather base your decision on where you will be happiest with the screen you select. The screen location is key - cut out a paper template and place it where you want to install it (based on measurements of the screen) and then do a backup dry run.

Of course the other option is to buy the camera and change out your entire deck to a more modern one with a backup camera port (a little expensive).