Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

ECM-P048000 after fan controller replacement V70 T6

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

ECM-P048000 after fan controller replacement V70 T6

Post by precopster » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 am

Was called out to scan a 2009 V70 3.2 T6 today. The auto electrician looking at this car is a friend of mine and he hoped that Vida would see something his scanner couldn't see or perform a better reset of the ECM.

These V70s are interesting creatures with so many Ford parts on them. Coil packs say FoMoCo and the fan controller is from a Ford Transit Van.

Anyhow the initial fault was a typical fan controller problem with fans staying on, sometimes it was pulsing on high speed only with engine turned off.

Initially there was some weird behaviour and a new engine coolant genuine temp sensor was replaced.

A new fan controller was ordered in from the USA and was fitted however the code ECM-P048000 fan motor 1 control circuit appeared on his high level scanner. Yes that is an unusually long fault code but that's exactly how it appears in Vida also. All 3 speeds were working fine in his workshop today through Activations in Vida and coolant temps were 98C when the fan turned on to low speed. Fan also comes on.with A/C operation.

However the code re-appeared whenever the car hit between 94 and 97 degrees, before the fan gets activated to low speed which happens on the button at 98C always. Something very fishy is going on here...
The fans both draw the same current though the resistance measurements are futile because the fans have variable resistance depending where they sit just like stepper motors.

We tried disconnecting the connector to the fan controller and Vida says all is fine......until temps reach between 94 and 97 degrees when it again calls up the code. Why the ECM can't sense that the controller isn't connected BELOW these temperatures is a mystery.

The customer says that the ENGINE OVERHEAT message has come on and he stopped immediately though we couldn't get the temp anywhere above 98C in the workshop on a cool day.

Something tells me the ECM has taken a big hit due to the failed fan controller but who knows what's happened here. Any relevant experience always welcome of course......

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: ECM-P048000 after fan controller replacement V70 T6

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 am

The longer codes are a format called Global Generic Diagnostics. The manufacturers had their own codes and it was created extra work and cost for controllers that were used across different makes. An expanded generic code structure was developed and is used almost universally. In many cases the older OBD-II codes are the basis of the GGD code and only has extra zeroes added. In other cases those other digits can define many more possibilities for the situation of the code. 2005 XC90 V8 and the 2004.5 P1s got some of these and it grew with any new tech added or new car platform. P3 is nearly 100% (if not 100%) GGD code structure.
There are Ford parts and there is the fact that anything on the car that went into production or was ever re-tooled got FOMOCO on it even if it was a unique to Volvo part coming from a supplier solely used by Volvo. Coils likely just have FOMOCO on them but the cooling fan controller is a pretty generic transistorized controller that all Ford owned brands except Mazda used.
I have only run into this fault when the controller failed and would not run the fans.
There are some diagnostics that don't run continuously as usual and only are checked when scripted.
I'm suspicious about the new part. I don't know if there is any possibility to test with a part borrowed from another car. Or at the least read static voltage on the signal wire. I read that on my 2010 XC60 with 3.0 Turbo engine that uses to fans and the signal wire is 2V below system voltage. The engine was idling soon after starting and the V at batt was 14.7 and a pin slid down into the violet wire on the fan controller connector was 12.7V. It is cold enough today I could not get fan to run by turning on aircon.

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks jimmy this is a hairy one. They brought in 2 different new controllers from the USA however both had the same result.

They had a Transit van in the workshop at the same time and swapped in its fan by just plugging it in to the Volvo loom on the V70 and it too called up the same fault code BEFORE the fans were commanded on by the ECM. They've had this V70 back and forth now for 2 months.

The part number visible on the motor of the Ford fan is the same even though it runs different impellers and casing so electrically they are the same. Without an entirely new Volvo fan assembly it's still a guessing game as to:

1) Whether the Ford controller from the Transit is the same as Volvo
2) Whether there are controller differences electrically in non-genuine parts

If it was my call I'd fit a new genuine fan assembly at cost price because when this car ends up at the dealer he will pay about 30% more and they will probably still need to replace ECM.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:55 am

Hopefully a more granular P code will remove some zeros from the repair bill!!

Sounds like a tough one

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:31 am

Jimmy PM-ed info that may help. Apparently corrosion on the strip fuse 11A/44 can cause this and give false readings to the ECM. I need to contact the repairer and see if the info helped. Thanks again jimmy!

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:05 am

Got word today that the strip fuse relating to that circuit was removed and cleaned to no effect. It was worth a try though. Car will go to Volvo now. Owner had better brace for financial impact...:-)