IPD sale Volvo Parts

2004 XC90, Dashboard out, what else should be replaced?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
eapowers64
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
United States of America

2004 XC90, Dashboard out, what else should be replaced?

Post by eapowers64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2004 XC90 2.5T FWD with 135,000 miles for next to nothing. It had the typical water leakage into the cabin that festered and did a decent amount of damage - carpets, yaw rate sensor, A pillar upholstery, etc. I have pulled everything from the interior (seats, seat mounts, carpets, foam blocks, etc.) The first big task is to make this beast watertight. I am going to replace the foam seal that goes between the A/C inlet plenum underneath the cowling and the blower motor as it is crumbling into the blower and I have heard that water leaking through that area can be an issue. As far as I can tell, this requires pulling the dashboard to access which is not that big of a deal considering that everything else is out of the car and there is a lot of room to move around! I have two questions. 1) am I correct that I should pull the dashboard to do this? 2) is there anything else that I should replace as a preventative measure once I have the dashboard out? As far as I know, everything works but the car is getting on in years.

Thanks!

hebhere
Year and Model: 2005 xc90 tr6
United States of America

Re: 2004 XC90, Dashboard out, what else should be replaced?

Post by hebhere » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 am

Moisture, condensation must be desert dried. Air movement dries faster that just heat. Windows down, doors open blower in cabin for some time to blow moisture out.
I would unplug electronics and put "Electrical Silicone sealer for all electrical connections" in all electrical connections, unplug all electronics and computers and apply this then reconnect. Make sure all contacts are clean and free of corrosion.

If dash in the way of anything electrical then of course move it.

Volvo electronics is sensitive and volvo uses many control units. You need to make sure electronics is very clean and very dry