IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

VIDA resets after Tranny swap.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
PoppySheaf
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
PoppySheaf

VIDA resets after Tranny swap.

Post by PoppySheaf » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:20 pm

2008 XC90 - 3.2L - AWD - TF-80SC 30783227 tranny.

I'm swapping out the tranny next week with an identical year and numbers replacement. I have 115k miles and the new tranny 87k.

I'm also using the TCM from my existing tranny as the new one doesn't come with one (photo below)

Will I see all that needs reset in VIDA? I know there's a counter for fluid change.
s-l1600 (2).jpg
[attachment=2]s-l1600
Attachments
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: VIDA resets after Tranny swap.

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Not sure on the XC90 3.2 transmission. But my work with the XC90 2.9T and XC70s transmissions I have worked on - one can reset the fluid counter and adaptations. I assume your vehicle will be the same - you will know when you get to the screen. My guess is it will be the same or very close.

I would say reset both and then drive the car until the adaptations are programmed. You have a different transmission mating to your original TCM which was behaving/programmed/adapted to the original transmission. Me, I would reset adaptations so everything is properly mated.

On the 3.2 transmission I am not sure how hard a drain and fill is, but I would try to get as much fluid out as possible. Even flushing the lines. What are you doing about the torque converter?

Why did the original tranny fail? Reason is to see what contamination may be in the remaining fluid - mainly the lines, cooler and torque converter.

PoppySheaf
United States of America
PoppySheaf

Post by PoppySheaf » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm

It's exhibiting the classic T6 symptoms I read about- shuddering from 2-3 & 3-4, flares and getting progressively worse.
Throwing no tranny codes. Local very reputable tranny shop drove it and said it fells very much like the torque converter.
Fluid is clean.

Definitely flushing and changing fluid. Also installing an hydraulic (Parker 10 micron) filter in-line on the cooling line.
GPMs and PSI rating are high enough not to slow fluid flow down.

Using the torque converter that came with the replacement.
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Thanks for the reprogramming info - that's exactly what I needed!

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:39 pm

How much is a new torque converter? May be worth looking into if torque converter failure is a problem.

Are you planning on replacing the rear main seal? Tough call at your mileage point.

PoppySheaf
United States of America
PoppySheaf

Post by PoppySheaf » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 pm

I thought about it

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 am

I would suspect that adaptation is a mandatory for something like this, you're taking an adapted control unit off one transmission and putting it on another transmission. Take your time when you do the adaptation, find a nice industrial park or somewhere quiet you can go up and down, up and down, at speeds sufficient to shift into 6th gear.

As far as the job you're doing, a new sleeve (30787669) and seals (30713728, 30713729) for the angle gear output might be something to consider.

2/17/19 edit- add sleeve and seal
These users thanked the author ggleavitt for the post:
PoppySheaf

2005 2.5T AWD-194k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-124k

Justtellme
Year and Model: 2010xc90 1991 780
Canada
Justtellme

Post by Justtellme » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:30 pm

PoppySheaf wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm
It's exhibiting the classic T6 symptoms I read about- shuddering from 2-3 & 3-4, flares and getting progressively worse.
Throwing no tranny codes. Local very reputable tranny shop drove it and said it fells very much like the torque converter.
Fluid is clean.

Definitely flushing and changing fluid. Also installing an hydraulic (Parker 10 micron) filter in-line on the cooling line.
GPMs and PSI rating are high enough not to slow fluid flow down.

Using the torque converter that came with the replacement.
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Thanks for the reprogramming info - that's exactly what I needed!
Hi, I hope you dont mind a few questions!
was the shuddering under all conditions? I mean would it do it when cold or only when at full operating temperature? Under light throttle only, or uphill or in all regimes?...any symptoms in manual mode or otherwise?
Did a fluid flush do anything?

Can someone school me on the adaptations you are referring to regarding Vida?
Is this simply programming the transmission to mate to a different vehicle or resetting the fluid life?

What was the cost of a used 3.2L 6 speed transmission?
How much time are you allocating to the swap?
Cheers
Patrick

PoppySheaf
United States of America
PoppySheaf

Post by PoppySheaf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 pm

The shuddering was all the time once it warmed up. Worse uphill. Symptoms in the manual mode. Did not flush as Volvo mechanic said the fluid was clean. Watched the net for a couple of months and found one from a volvonation in Colorado for 500 with 87k miles on it. I’m taking a week off from work as I have lots of accumulated paid vacation working for the city. I have several photos earlier in this thread. While this is my first Volvo, I’ve changed a lot of trannys in my life the last one a couple of years ago. It was a big, heavy CVT in my wife’s Outback. Before that one of my daughters after her boyfriend put oil in the transmission. It had a subframe and axles to remove and I had to use a engine support bar like I’ll have to do on the xc90. Wish me luck and thanks for the advice from the other post regarding adaptation procedures.

PoppySheaf
United States of America
PoppySheaf

Post by PoppySheaf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:31 pm

I will definitely do the sleeve and seal.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:52 am

Not sure if the GM box has an adaptations reset, but I would not reset anything besides the fluid counter (you will perhaps replace the fluid in the donor box)

The reason for not resetting the adaptations is that your are reusing your valve body. The adaptations need reset and relearn when a new valve body is installed. A reset on a used valve body will force the solenoids to learn like new ones, while they have wear on them and surely cannot pulse (move rapidly) like a new part does.

But see how it goes, if it works nicely, shifts well, no kicks when downshifting, no delay and smooth D and R engagement from P or N, you should be good to go. Of course, all this assuming the donor box is healthy, because a 87k on a GM box is actually quite a gambling (these do last just that, usually no more than 80k miles or so)

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c