IPD sale Volvo Parts

Bevel gear rebuilder?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
skibbed
Year and Model:
Bevel gear rebuilder?

Post by skibbed » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:56 pm

I have a 2004 XC90 T5 awd and the bevel gear pinion bearing failed. Does anyone know of a rebuilder for this unit??? Someone must make replacement parts to service other than just the seal kits.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Re: Bevel gear rebuilder?

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 pm

I would recommend you search the XC70 world for answers. On my XC70, when my bevel gear melted, I ended up sourcing a used unit and resealing it before I installed it. During the process I found a number of people that replaced actual hard parts, bearings, to achieve their repairs.

The bearings are pretty common and the numbers will be stamped on the outside. Reality is that only bearings can be found, at least when I looked. The actual gears were not available.

Volvo has a technical bulletin on resealing the bevel gear (for XC70) - read through it - it will give you some idea of what is going on. Here: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how- ... eakage.pdf

After this point, it is just pulling out the offending bearing, replacing it, setting up the torque and resealing.

A used unit may be your best option unless you can be without the vehicle for at least a week. If after you have read up on the process, and feel you can handle the matter, buying the bearing before hand would speed things up. Other option is to call a transmission repair shop and ask them to do the rebuild, but a used part may be cheaper. If you go with a used unit, change out the oil and seals while it is out.

Were it me, I have a spare vehicle for this exact purpose, I would read up and make sure I don't have to do any "preload" type of work on the bevel gear which I cannot perform or find specs for. If the pinion bearing is just a swap I would tackle the job. I would start by comparing the XC70 unit to the XC90 unit, looking for bearing interchange, and any other relevant spec I can find. Then order the part and in the interim, prep the unit for install. Next I would pull the unit out, open it up, and see if it can be rebuilt.

Here is a start: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... or-failure