IPD sale Volvo Parts

New to Volvo XC90

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Hermes2430
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
United States of America

New to Volvo XC90

Post by Hermes2430 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:48 am

I have no experience with Volvo, and have always been DIY on my vehicles. My 2003 JGC just hit 333k and the transmission stopped shifting. I didn't have time to work on it and decided to shop around for a replacement vehicle. I decided to try something different so I got a 2008 XC90 with 187k. People tell me that they are rock solid and amazingly safe.

So there's a few things to work on, and I started researching fixes, and it looks like the Volvo has a high cost learning curve. Alright, so I'm not scared, but I need a good toolbox. This site is part of that. I'd like to find a factory service manual, and I keep seeing VIDA. Can someone explain this to me and suggest other items I'm going to want.

I'm looking forward to falling in love with this vehicle, but it's a fine line between loving and hating a car. I'm hoping for your support. And yes, I've started reading the stickies.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

Re: New to Volvo XC90

Post by matthew1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:51 pm

Welcome to MVS and Volvo ownership, Hermes.

VIDA is the factory tech manual. Optional device (DiCE) is your means of connecting to the car. Here's more:

VIDA DICE, which one to buy?
2000 V70R - Vida/Dice Purchasing
Overview of Vida Dice?

What engine do you have? Did it come with service records? Catch up quickly if you're behind on scheduled maintenance.
Help keep MVS on the web -> buy from sponsors.
Also -> Amazon link
Like the high quality content? Thank a moderator.
Help MVS and be an MVS Contributor.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

Hermes2430
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
United States of America

Post by Hermes2430 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:01 am

I have seen these three items on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-VIDA-Vad ... rk:23:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-VIDA-201 ... rk:20:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-VIDA-DI ... :rk:7:pf:0

The first two links are for pairs of CDs, one VIDA and one EWD. They are different years, 2010, 2011, 2012. Is this fine for a 2008 model, or do I need to look for items that are specific to 2008?

The third link is for a DiCE that says it includes a CD of VIDA 2014. I'm gathering that the VIDA CD is software to update the DiCE. If I'm working on a 2008 model, do I need to care about update CDs for the DiCE? If I get a DiCE that includes a VIDA CD, do I also want the EWD CD separately? If so, do I need to find an EWD CD that is no later than 2008?

According to vindecoderz, it's a B6324S R6 3.2L with AW55-50SN trans. There were no service records.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia

Post by precopster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Vida is software to look up specific information on the car you've selected in Vehicle Profile.

It has parts manuals, detailed repair procedures, an interface for detailed testing of each module in the car and an interface for reading fault codes and clearing them , even if they're SRS or ABS.

The software once mastered, and with the help of forum members, can help you to avoid dealer visits. You can even reset the service reminder with it while connected to your vehicle with the Dice OBDII tool.

As the softwsre is a cracked/patched copy of the real deal from dealers costing thousands there are some trade-offs. You can't use Vida to program new or used modules to your car, though there are some genius forum members that can help you to reprogram used modules over the internet by using just your Dice tool.

If you run a MAC or other OS you can install a Virtual Image of a Vida installation but you'll need to either create the image yourself or find one on the 'net.

EWD is a set of electronic wiring diagrams for Volvo vehicles.

For a 2008 model any Vida package is fine but the preferred one is 2014D.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.