IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Can i use SEAFOAM in my Oil/ or Ect?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
natural4reelz
Year and Model: 02 VOLVO S60 TURBO 5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
natural4reelz

Can i use SEAFOAM in my Oil/ or Ect?

Post by natural4reelz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:26 pm

:?:

Just did my engine oil a month ago and its dark ....
I like it to be cleaned...
What does this mean when the oil cap has cooked on dark oil as well as the grill thing indide??

What can a beginner ( FEMALE ) do to clean it up?
If theres a Step by step guide with pics maybe i get brave and do it

Where is the PVC/PCV SYSTEM ?? Im told thats a area to clean..

Im not a mechanic so i need easy step by step guide WITH PHOTOS to help me do this ...

Thank you...

If theres anything else Maintenance that will be helpful let me know..... remember im not a new at this...
Attachments
585A207B-E4E9-453E-883D-39460EF34016.jpeg
395FF7AD-7113-4DC5-9207-DCC445A975F0.jpeg

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Re: Can i use SEAFOAM in my Oil/ or Ect??????

Post by Georgeandkira » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:12 pm

The filler cap's gasket is likely hardened with age. Don't remove it until you have a replacement standing by.
Get a disposable dish/jar lid etc large enough to set the oil filler cap in and set it in 1/2" of full strength Simple Green/Purple Power. The cap will clean off with soaking rubbing. You can do this with the gasket on or off.

Before an oil change I used nitrile glove, denatured alcohol and Scocth Brite pads to clean my grill.

I'm betting my use of synthetic oil will prevent the gunk returning.

There are posts describing a PVC system change with pictures.

Welcome to Volvo ownership.
When did you get it? Mileage of your car? Have you done a glove test?

EngineeringBloke
Year and Model: 2006 2.5T S60
United States of America
EngineeringBloke

Re: Can i use SEAFOAM in my Oil/ or Ect??????

Post by EngineeringBloke » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:31 pm

If you look at the oil filler cap you will see the black ring gasket that is supposed to help keep the oil inside the upper part of the engine. In your case, outside the ring, you can see oil. When the engine runs, oil splashes around at the top. As the gasket ages, it becomes less flexible and does not form a tight seal on the top of the oil filler. This allows oil out which can then run around the top of the engine head.

As George recommends, get a replacement gasket from an autoparts store or dealer or online, and clean the cap. Then replace the old gasket with the new one. The oil leakage is not usually too much of a problem, but it makes the engine dirty which can make it run hotter, and also hides possible other leaks.

Both I and mrbrian200 have 2006 2.5T S60s and had similar deposits, which got much better with synthetic oil. I did not actually do more than wipe my filler cap with a shop rag but over time it looks much better. I replaced the gasket about 2 months ago but my oil came from an issue with valve seals. I had my car since 2009 (30K) and it is now just over 100K - short commutes.
These users thanked the author EngineeringBloke for the post:
Kvanity90

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Can i use SEAFOAM in my Oil/ or Ect?

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:49 pm

First off do not use Scotch Brite pads or related any where near the engine unless you are 100% sure you can clean up the small plastic pieces that break off. Yes, I have used them, but I have cleaned them up with the utmost of care. Several car manufacturers have warned their shops because they found the broken off fibers cause damage to the engine. Think about it - they work for a reason and the fibers keep working even when they fall off.

Yes you can use Seafoam in the crankcase (engine) as well as in the gas tank. Follow the instructions on the bottle. Take it slow and change your oil more frequently until it cleans up. Synthetic is better as suggested above. It will take time (several oil changes), but a shock approach of heavy solvents may cause more problems, such as throwing crud clots that ruin your engine.

Do a search on this forum for "glove test" and you will see some videos, I know June just posted one. If your car passes the glove test, your PCV system is functioning properly - 98% of the time. Usually it is better to replace the PCV components rather than clean them. It is not a difficult task, but it does require removing a number of parts, including the intake manifold. There are a number of posts on this forum regarding the same. Basically every Volvo uses the same design, with a few changes. It is doubtful your PCV is the cause of your dirty oil - it is more likely the long service interval of the original oil.

See here, basic format is the same for XC90 and your engine (I like this one b/c of the color pictures, but forum members here have additional information in their posts): http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how- ... CEMENT.pdf

See here for cleaning out, which I would do at the same time as replacing: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how- ... Method.pdf

natural4reelz
United States of America
natural4reelz

Post by natural4reelz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:14 pm

I did synthetic oil already??? What do u mean put my engine in shock bu doing what???

I did my oil change about 2months or so ago i think.

If i put seafoam in the synthetic oil how should i do it
And after i seafoam should i change my oil again just incase there yuck

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:20 pm

You don't mention the miles, but it it recommended to replace the PCV - you can also do a test, maybe the previous owner has already replaced it www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8kUQxhT_8 As mentioned, google up like 'pcv turbo volvo forum' and you'll have to choose among plenty of posts - Youtube also has a few videos. It's important to note the tools, the gaskets, and the difficult points. A good moment to replace the thermostat as well (another $100 or so)

I did the seafoam 'treatment' but I have to say, I believe it's not necessarily something that will change anything mechanically.. the sludge on the oil cap is not the worst I've seen (mine was worst), but again, it doesn't mean the engine 'must' be cleaned. The PCV job is more important.

For the Seafoam, I did pour I think 1 bottle (read on the sticker for the amount needed) and drove the car for about 100 miles, in summer time, without revving the engine too much - just a little rev past 4000 rpm now and then, to pass the fluid through the VVT system

I agree about synthetic oil cleaning the engine just a well, but careful because switching to synthetic may cause an important oil consumption for the first oil changes (verify the oil after a few days, then weekly, we don't have a light for low oil level), and maybe replace the filter only after 500 miles.

For maintenance, maybe see this video and more important, have a look at the video description for the parts brands to purchase

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

natural4reelz
United States of America
natural4reelz

Post by natural4reelz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:38 pm

I have 135000 miles
And I did the synthetic oil change 2 months ago or so

I was told my Turbo may have a oil leak

Where can I get another set of keys ?? I lost my spare at work and only have the one im using now and occasionally I have noticed when I put my key in the ignition that it wont turn .. and i just flip it around and teinsert it then its fine.. not sure what that means...

Thank you for all your help : )

natural4reelz
United States of America
natural4reelz

Post by natural4reelz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:45 pm

I forgot to ask .....

My car is 2002 Volvo S60 2.4L TURBO

MY QUESTION IS.....

When I go on different car part websites and they ask what the model is and I have seen in the list of options that it has 2 of mine

For example....
It will ask do I have AWD or 2.4L
MY car is AWD and also 2.4L

SO i dont know how to choose when they r both mine

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 pm

For the key, possible the barrel has an issue, make sure to release the tension on the steering wheel before turning the key, especially if parking on an incline (second half of the video www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGoPMcV1JaM )

For the key, it is unfortunate but it's manly a main dealer buy, and not cheap

For selecting the car on parts sites, try first selecting AWD, then you should have the option for a turbo engine Yours would be the B5244T3 if it's not mistaken

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:21 am

natural4reelz wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:45 pm
I forgot to ask .....

My car is 2002 Volvo S60 2.4L TURBO

MY QUESTION IS.....

When I go on different car part websites and they ask what the model is and I have seen in the list of options that it has 2 of mine

For example....
It will ask do I have AWD or 2.4L
MY car is AWD and also 2.4L

SO i dont know how to choose when they r both mine
Go to the Volvo parts Lisle site andput your Vin number in, its on your dash. That will get you the right parts

From there get the Volvo part number , from which you can shop from them, FCP. iPD , EEuro, etc.

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW