IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2005 XC70 Transmission Bugs

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

vonbaron
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Australia
vonbaron

2005 XC70 Transmission Bugs

Post by vonbaron » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Hello all,
This is my first post on MVS and as a relatively recent convert to being a Volvo owner since testing my Subaru Forester through 360º rollover while on slippery roads at start of 2018.

Rather than hitch hike or hijack an existing thread, I thought I would start my own thread which I will attempt to keep alive for this car.

A good friend offered me a deal I found hard to refuse in accepting a good looking 2005 model XC70.
I was impressed how comfortable this car is and how well is seemed to handle.

But, it came with a few troubles, and as is scattered throughout this forum and other Volvo forums, it suffers the transmission bug.
When cold, it drives absolutely beautifully, silky smooth shifts from start to top gear.
The problem starts only once the transmission becomes hot, and that coincides exactly by the time I drive from my place out in the country to the small city some 30km away, which takes around 30 minutes.
As soon as I hit start stop traffic, I can start to notice the shifts are hard and then, before too much longer, the typical issues of no lockup generally from 2 to 3 gear at first and then on downshifts under load.

By the time I get out of the city and climb a few hills, it becomes more painful and the only way to gently get it back home is to drive in manual mode and feather the accelerator so that lockup occurs while no throttle.

I have setup a dedicated little laptop to run VIDA in VirtualBox under Debian GNU/Linux.
I have the DICE hardware and have it all connected and talking quite well now and think I have mastered this disaster of a program enough to keep me out of trouble I think.

So, details about the car from VIDA:
Total distance traveled: 173733km
Engine type: B5254T2, standard 5 cylinder with turbo
Gearbox: AW50, though on the transmission is is labeled as a 55-51SN

Before I purchased the vehicle, I know and have the details of it being down to the Volvo dealer in south of the state for a 'diagnostic full systems test', and fluid drain and flush with what they call as 'reset adatations', yes, spelling is obviously not their strong point, so I wonder if how they go with VIDA ?
At the bottom of the invoice from the Volvo dealer, they say acouple of things:
  • 'Carried out software updates as required.'
    'Road tested and found transmission still thumping into gear, internal ware? Suggest a replacement second hand or new transmission.'
Wow, a thumping transmission, I would like to be a fly in their workshop to hear what goes on.
This was done at 159569km, which is just over 14000 km ago, in late 2017.

Then, again, the car was taken to another mechanic, who apparently knows Volvos and again, the transmission fluid was flushed with 'treatment' and replenished with new fluid. I have no idea what the treatment was, but might be able to find out.The new ATF they put in was product Titan ATF-4400.

I checked up the specs for this ATF and it appears to meet the specs required, JWS3309 and Toyota type IV.
This was done only some months after the previous flush mentioned above.

So, after much reading here, and being in contact with Mike, aka precopster, he advises me to do a drain and fill using an ATF he uses and has good experience with, Nulon fully synthetic AFT. I buy a couple of 4 litre packs online for around $38AUD per 4 litre, which is far cheaper than what I could buy it locally for.

Now, before I go on, some time ago I noticed that the level of the fluid was reading high, very very high, and this was while the engine was running and up to temperature. On the yellow dipstick the words read after the level marks, 'do not overfill / 0.2 litre between min and max'
Well, the level was just after the word between and before the word min. I thought I had checked it earlier just after getting the vehicle and that it read okay, but I can not be sure now and really it doesn't matter, it was reading way too high. So I drained some out by siphon from the dipstick tube.

Doing this really did not make any difference to the issues, maybe worse as the transmission was getting hotter quicker with less fluid.

Also, another issue was that the air conditioner was not working, so I had that checked and recharged. Now nice cool air from air conditioner.
But, doing that also stopped the radiator fan from operating all the time at a high speed, which I though was not correct at the time. So, fixing the air conditioner also fixed the problem with the main fan now working correctly it appears.

But in doing this, the main fan only operates as needed from ECU, and thus engine coolant temperature is probably higher, and thus, transmission oil temperature is now probably higher. Which in turn has made the transmission issues come directly after 30 minutes of driving and when I hit the start stop traffic in the city.

I guess you can start to see the picture here ?

So, in my thinking, I was wondering, if the engine coolant temperature sensor is not within spec, say was reading low, then the engine and then transmission would run hotter.
So, my first question is, what is considered normal engine running temperature and where does your needle on the DIM indicate ?
Mine sits exactly at the half way mark, so needle is at 12 o'clock, is this about right ?
I have checked the data in VIDA, and it reports engine coolant temperature of around 87ºC, varying between 85ºC to sometimes around 100ºC from what I have seen.

So, the fault codes.
After a trip to the city, I usually need to connect up the laptop and run up VIDA and reset the 'Transmission Service Required' message.
The error codes I have, apart from a ECM-120D, are ECM-5130 and TCM-002F.
I understand the ECM-5130 being that the ECM has received a code from TCM for DTC, which is the TCM-002F.
The TCM-002F code is 'Lock-up function Slipping or not engaged', which I guess is the SLT solenoid ?

Now, getting back to the ATF I bought on Mike's advice. today I did the well talked about drain and fill.
Drained the amount that came from the transmission sump and flushed out a little more with clean fluid down the filler tube.
Then, plug back in and re-filled 2700ml, just short of the required 3600ml as would be normal. The transmission was still a tad too high before, so my calculations suggest 2700ml, which seemed to put it spot on while cold and checked again at warm. Next will the hot check.

Some photos:
First photo setup, followed by a sample on paper towel of the new ATF against the old fluid. Quite a different colour.

The last is the filling of the new ATF using Nulon ATF with a sample of colour differences between what came out to what was going in.
The old stuff certainly appears to be okay, not quite cherry red, but also, not too brown, and the smell was okay from what I could tell.
Yes, that 'Jacobs Creek Shiraz' sure was a good drop :)

Next is a short drive. We are going for a bbq not far away in a few hours. So hopefully this will give me an idea of any differences.
My idea is probably to do another drain and fill in the coming week or two and then monitor it from there.
But basically, as it has been, I can not take this car for any extended trips at all, which is not what I need or want from a car.
We want to go camping before the summer ends and other get away trips, and my road bike is really only set up for me :D

I know this has been a long post, but I wanted to put in as much info as I can at this stage so any body that might be able to shed further advice will have a better idea of the situation. Appreciate the time many of you folks put in to helping others on here, and I am looking to being able to reciprocate the help. My area of expertise is electronics and embedded hardware and software.

Von Baron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Antoine240bk
Year and Model: XC70 2.5T-2006
France
Antoine240bk

Re: 2005 XC70 Transmission Bugs

Post by Antoine240bk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:02 am

Hi,

on my same car, as per engine temperature running, this is what i have noticed in my car during summer days.
- Coolant temp is between 92°/100° needle at 12 O'clock
- Engine oil seems to be constant at 105°
- Transmission in highway is around 85° / in city traffic it does go up to 105°
- Haldex oil is around 55°/60°

I must say i found this car running way better during the winter. Transmission temp is often at 66° on highway to 80° in the city.
Hope the reading are accurate as i use a CFE+ which monitor the engine sensors, i've not have tried yet with Vida.

The AC was recharged too as the fan was constantly running at full speed.

I am new to automatic transmission and have not yet slipping or downshift problems with the trans, i am doing the drain and fill method which i plan to do every Year. The ATF level sit right under the first mark of hot on the dipstick while engine is hot & running.

Volvo XC70 2.5 T AWD P2 BVA B5254T2 12/2005 Four-C EX : Volvo V70 P1 2.4l 20s 170ch B5244S 03/2000 - Volvo 245 GL Break 1979 B21 -Gpl - Volvo 240 GL Break 04/1992 B230F (Daily for 14 years)

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 am

The temp gauge has a 20 degree window where the needle is TDC. This is probably to stop people from worrying. If it does show anything but TDC you know there's something wrong for real.

As for the transmission issues. If there has been a bunch of drain and fills already I doubt another one will do any difference.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:58 am

That’s cool that’s you can get readoutof temperatures in your display

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:46 pm

When my T5 overheated due to a jammed close thermostat it was the first time I'd seen the needle move from centre position. That little problem blew the head gasket.

Fan should turn on at 105C but make certain all 3 speeds are available through Vida in Activations.

That Titan 4400 iin the wine bottle's too black in my opinion after 14,000kms. I would definitely be doing that 2nd drain and fill in a week.

There is a search function for fault codes in Vida along with a diagnostic procedure for the code.

I don't mind a bit of Jacobs Creek myself!

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

vonbaron
Australia
vonbaron

Post by vonbaron » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi Antoine,
Thanks for the information on your engine coolant temperature gauge and where it sits.
It appears to be exactly the same as mine then.

Yes, I noticed the message display in your picture, how did you do that, to get the data from transmission and haldex ? When I noticed that, I searched online and read the owners manual to see if it was a standard things and how to get it. No mention in the owners manual, but looking online I came across some very interesting articles on hacking the DIM using little microcontrollers that I use in my day to day work (play), called Arduino.

Good to know that your fan was also running at full speed when the A/C system is not charged to correct pressure. Means what mine was doing was correct for the situation then.

Abscate, I know you've been around for a while, with all the post I have seen from you, do you know anything about getting those data values up in the message display or the hacking involved to do so ?

Might be interesting to get one of my Arduino 32 bit controllers with CAN bus out of the box and onto the work bench to start playing on the CAN Bus communications network in the car ? I've done a little bit of coding for CAN Bus some time ago for another project of mine here.

Hi Mike, I did test the fan speeds when it was running at full speed all the time. I would do a DTC reset since there was one for A/C pressure signal low or missing. Once the reset was done, the fan would spin down. Then I tested with the three available setpoints in VIDA, which worked fine.

The reason I brought up the subject of the fan, is because I live up a dirt road, and in the Subaru Forester, the fan would be spinning with considerably more noise than I hear from the Volvo. In the Volvo, even on hot day we are having now, when I get to the driveway gate to unlock it, I only hear the fan in the Volvo spinning at a nice quite speed. It must just come down to different design.

The first short drive yesterday went well, though it was not far enough where I would usually find the problems to start. Since I work from home, I don't drive each day to a work place office. Maybe in the next day or two I will take it back into the city for a test. I really can see how in warmer climates, an after market oil cooler would help, which is something I may need to look at as once I get this problem sorted, I will be keen to get a trailer hitch mounted so I can use my trailer again.

Von Baron

Antoine240bk
France
Antoine240bk

Post by Antoine240bk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:51 pm

The CFE+ is CAN bus controller from Volvotech.eu that plug in the OBD II port of the car, it will let you setup multiple options in a software on your PC. Then it is plug & play and talk through the CAN bus of the car. Expensive so get it on sales but it is very handy.
I would not be able to program anything :P

Volvo XC70 2.5 T AWD P2 BVA B5254T2 12/2005 Four-C EX : Volvo V70 P1 2.4l 20s 170ch B5244S 03/2000 - Volvo 245 GL Break 1979 B21 -Gpl - Volvo 240 GL Break 04/1992 B230F (Daily for 14 years)

vonbaron
Australia
vonbaron

Post by vonbaron » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Okay, I shall look into it. Playing microcontrollers is my daytime hobby job, so it could be fun to mess about.
I wonder where in France you are. I have my TDM moto located near Angers there for riding in the Alpes and other parts of Europe :)
Santé, von baron

Antoine240bk
France
Antoine240bk

Post by Antoine240bk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Ah! Lovely médiéval town Anger, i made a stop once on my way to Nantes. Great! that must be good fun the Alpes on motorbike!
I live near Paris on the Est and have a place in the country not far for my tools. I am a props man.
Never been to Tasmania, i really wish someday. I have travelled through Australia four times few years ago.
Cheers, A

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:21 pm

I have not done any hacking on my P2 as it is used 50% by the boss when she wants to shift gears

I use to drive through both towns to sail from La Rochelle, beautiful country

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary