IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2009 V50 1.6 - smoke from alternator housing/auxiliary belt area

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
Jaymojohnson
Year and Model: V50 2009
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
Jaymojohnson

2009 V50 1.6 - smoke from alternator housing/auxiliary belt area

Post by Jaymojohnson » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi,

So I bought a 2009 1.6 DRIVEs second hand a couple of days ago and I've had no problems until today. I've probably done close to 100 miles since purchasing the car on Monday.

Today I was driving home and I caught the Air Con button with my hand but I turned it off when I noticed after 2-3 minutes as it really isn't the weather right now for air con! A few minutes later I started to smell rubber burning. I assumed it was the van driving in front of me as I entered a car park.

When I stopped and got out the car I noticed smoke coming from the engine bay. I lifted the bonnet and the smoke seemed to be coming from the alternator housing/auxiliary belt. I left the car with the engine off for around 20 minutes and eventually it stopped smoking. I then tried to turn the car back on and there was no power. Another 5 minutes passed and I could hear a clicking sound so I put the key back in and the power worked again. This time the car wouldn't start but the starter motor made the ticking sound. I left it a further few minutes and tried again and this time the car fired up, no warning lights, no problems. I drove home which is roughly 5 miles.

I had the heater fan on at 21 degrees on the way home, air con turned off and when I parked up, no smoke.

The car has been parked up for roughly 6 hours now and starts without any issues.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and if it's safe to drive?
Last edited by matthew1 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improved title

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5
United States of America
Cees Klumper

Re: Help please

Post by Cees Klumper » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 pm

Only thing that comes to mind is the A/C compressor clutch hung up and burned? Something like that? I'm definitely no expert but I would very carefully try to, with the car sitting, engine idling, turn on the A/C to see what happens. Read out any codes. And be extremely cautious, smoke and burning rubber are very bad!