IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

What problems to expect on V70 2006 after 200,000 km

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Dynamic D
Year and Model: v70 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Dynamic D

What problems to expect on V70 2006 after 200,000 km

Post by Dynamic D » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Hello,

I have a V70 2006 with 200,000 km. When I bought it, I expected to change it this year. However, I like the car and I'm wondering if I should keep it longer or change it for an XC90 (something like a 2009-2011). Since I use my car every day to go to work, I need it to be reliable. Up to know, it was, but for how long ?

Therefore I wanted to ask what kind of problems should I expect to have in the next 2 years (30,000 km) ?

Thanks for your help !

Dynamic D

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: What problems to expect on V70 2006 after 200,000 km

Post by abscate » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Nothing. Oil changes

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 pm

At 200K km...
- Timing Belt incl. 2 pulleys. The TB kit is about US $110 at Volvo dealer.
- Serpentine Belt and its pulley (I posted DIY in forum).
- Spark Plugs x5.
- Trans ATF flush.
- Check the brake hoses. My FRONT hoses were cracked at 110K. Replaced the FRONT brake hoses x2 ($15/each for FTE brand).
These users thanked the author cn90 for the post:
MacNoob

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 pm

200k km is about 125,000 miles. Have you done your timing belt. It should be done ASAP.

Assuming you have not done what cn90 says - what he says, but I would not do a Trans flush - I would do two or three drain and fills.

You have a good year and a good car. Your suspension will start to need parts as well as your rotors and brakes. As you have owned the car you know what you have done to it and the cost to maintain it. If you have done nothing, I would suggest you start saving and replace everything at the same time when the time comes. Otherwise you will be nickle and dimed constantly paying for the same basic work repeatedly. (Although my brother takes this approach and feels he comes out ahead - if you do the work yourself or have a mechanic that will let you buy the parts I would just do the entire front suspension when it goes all at once.)

The V70 is much nicer on suspension parts than the XC90. The XC90 eats front suspension components. In addition, the board is showing more and more members with transmission issues with the 2008 plus XC90. The XC90 also uses more gas.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm

From reading on forums, I feel the XC90 is quite a riskier ownership. Parts are not necessarily much more expensive, it's just the extra equipment and access when working on it.

Above, plenty of great tips. You don't mention the PCV, if it's still the original, it must be done by now (parts are around $300 for the turbo engine plus a few hours labor).

I'm close to your mileage (in fact at 230K) so had to replace quite a few parts, but I'm trying to have everything working spot on. I would add to the list a coolant thermostat ($100 + 1-2h labor), I would warmly recommend having two ignition coils for spare in the trunk along with a few wrenches to replace them on the spot when they will fail www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwtZCWU7u8, new spark plugs, control arms www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QaJbyjr2s . If the shock absorbers work fine, keep them, replacements are not as good as the original ones. The cabin blower starts making noise in cold weather too. I also had the problem with the A/C compressor pulley bearing. May use this site http://eeuroparts.com/ and choose UPS World Ease because it has all hidden border fees paid upfront (unlike Fedex and other scam companies). Or try looking for used parts at Kennyupull (I like the one at Laval)
All in all,you may be in for a few things (I think the belt and the PCV are on the top of the list) but on the other side, the car should drive just fine for the next 30K km.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 am

Many parts have real lifespan limits which should NOT BE IGNORED.
The timing belt + its hardware, serpentine belt + its tensioner, PCV system...as mentioned

Coolant refreshment, brake fluid refreshment, possibly even power steering fluid should be on your radar.

If you haven't looked at your parking brake hardware I suggest doing so.

Address front end issues in their time but they are coming as a matter of plain wearout.

If you address the belts and PCV now you'll have WAY MORE than another 30K to enjoy.

How mechanical are you?

MacNoob
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
Canada
MacNoob

Post by MacNoob » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:26 am

Great topic. My '07 XC70 is coming up to 200k kms. Already did most of the stuff mentioned, including struts/shocks. Will probably need control arm bushings and another set of sway bar end links soon.

I have not touched PCV. This car's duty cycle is very easy (never gets started without at least 15 minutes highway driving to follow) and gets synthetic every 10k kms. Glove test shows good vacuum at all throttle openings, so I'm not messing with this one right away.

My cabin blower is squeaky and is also on my "do soon" list.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:27 am

If you get good vacuum no need to touch it, indeed. Synthetic from new and lots of highway help indeed.

Just linking the vacuum test, for the OP www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8kUQxhT_8

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

veektor
Year and Model: 2008 S60
United States of America
veektor

Post by veektor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 am

I picked up Astrid, my '08 S60, in a distressed condition with 195K miles on the odometer. My engine was toast (spun bearing), ruined by the clogged PCV system, so I swapped a junkyard unit to get her on the road. Knowing about the negative impacts of PCV malfunction, I would recommend at least inspecting the hoses and passages. Right now Astrid is drivable, but needs a few things to run well. All of my issues are rather common for the 10 years/200K milestone.

Brakes on my S60 have pads and rotors that are still within spec, appear to have been replaced by PO. The brakes feel a bit spongy, so I'm going to replace the brake fluid and hope they tighten up. I doubt this fluid has ever been replaced.

My right strut mount was blown, I had opted to replace both struts and mounts in the front.

Front control arm bushings are cracked, ball joints are shot. I'm replacing those as well because worn bushings cause all sorts of front end noises.

Serpentine belt tensioner pulley is very loud. I'm debating whether I should try swapping just the pulley alone, or bite the bullet on the whole tensioner.

Timing belt and water pump are on the short list for replacement. I picked the best looking side-swiped V70XC in the junkyard as engine donor, but have absolutely no idea when TB and WP were replaced on it. The smart move would have been to replace those before installing the engine, but I wanted to make sure that thing was running well enough to warrant further maintenance.

Dynamic D
Year and Model: v70 2006
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Dynamic D

Post by Dynamic D » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:14 am

You guys are great ! It's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks you very much.

Thanks SuperHerman and oragex for the tips on the XC90.

Georgednkira: I like doing mechanics, but with the kids and work, I don't have that much time, so if it takes more than a couple of hours, I leave the work to my mechanic (David Dyotte) who does a great work.

SuperHerman: What do you mean by drain and fill ? I thought that to perform a transmission fluid flush you need to do just that. What is the difference you have in mind ?

So up to now, I've change the left control arm, sway bar end link, both brake hoses, front brake and rotors, 1 wheel bearing, 1 tie rod.

The little problems my car is having are: My cabin blower also does some noise (not too loud) when cold in the winter, but it does it since a couple of years and the noise goes away after 1 minute or 2, so I will keep it as is until it really annoys me. In addition, the power steering pumps tends to sweat some fluid, but nothing big so I just add some fluid from time to time (I'm just worried that a part from a junkyard will do worst). There is a crack just beside the catalytic converter that my mechanic says it cannot be welded, so I need to change the whole part. I have the impression that my suspension feels softer than before. How do I know if the shocks need replacement ?

Oh, anther thing, last summer when during a camping trip with the 4 kids with a trailer in the mountains, the engine oil disappeared and the engine stopped. After 15 minutes the oil came back by itself magically and I could resume my trip. I did an oil change when back home and it never did it again. Can this be a symptom of the PCV system failure ?

So I guess what I need to change now are: the PCV (I will do the evacum test later today, but I don't have much expectation..), serpentine and tensionner, timing belt, rear brakes (look at parking brake at the same time), spark plugs and a couple of ignition coils in the trunk just in case (thanks oragex for the link on how to detect a failing one). On the maybe list: another control arm coolant thermostat and transmission fluid flush. Am I forgetting something ?

I will make a cost estimate of these repairs and compare it to the cost of buying the XC90 and post it here so you guys can comment it.

Thanks again.

Dynamic D