IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Leaking sunroof and hatch window

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Aznav
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
United States of America
Aznav

Leaking sunroof and hatch window

Post by Aznav » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am

Subject says it all. Only seems to happen with heavy downpours...or carwashes. Is there a link on MVS or YouTube that could help me walk through and repair this? I'm not sure of the exact place the leaks are coming from. The sunroof leaks do not appear in the headliner but run down the from left corner post. I only noticed it when I was replacing the deteriorating post lining with vinyl. For the hatch window, there was a pretty large puddle on the deck that came from upper left part of the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, the guy that recovers those posts did it in an almost orange tan that I think looks incredibly good. Pics on demand. :D

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: Leaking sunroof and hatch window

Post by ggleavitt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am

Sunroof adjustment here- http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how- ... usting.pdf , may not be your issue but can't hurt to check. Original windshield?

2005 2.5T AWD-192k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-121k

Aznav
United States of America
Aznav

Post by Aznav » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:40 am

Excellent! Will try this on my next day off. The windshield is brand new - stone crack.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm

I would explore your sunroof drains and the tubing. I had a similar problem on my 2004 XC90 and it was the tubing - I used the splice trick - cut current tube and add about 1/2" of length by coupling the two pieces back together with a larger diameter hose which has an ID equal to the OD of the original tube. This added length, plus the clean out of the entire water path solved my problem.

Sunroofs leak a little bit. By design the amount of water leaking is handled by the drain system. When the drain system cannot handle it it leaks and 99% of the time it is because the system has an issue - it is 99% of the time not a capacity issue.

But, if your sunroof seals are seriously compromised that would fall in the 1% category.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
Aznav

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:59 pm

My bad, front drains are such a commonly reported concern that I made the assumption that they had already been checked.
Check your drains and let folks know what you find- https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... 10&t=72515 , https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... ain-repair

If the drains are not clogged, have a look at sunroof alignment. I had an issue last Fall with a sunroof that would leak only when it was heavily raining and had clean drains. Sunroof alignment resolved the issue.
These users thanked the author ggleavitt for the post:
Aznav

2005 2.5T AWD-192k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-121k

tardcart
Year and Model: 96 850t. 93 940t
United States of America
tardcart

Post by tardcart » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:54 pm

the reason GG asked about the windshield is unless you had the dealer put it in it will usually leak. (maby then too) the aftermarket ones arnt slumped to the right shape and there arnt good installers. You may have noticed installers doing their job in a parking lot at work in a blizzard. It cant work. in the old days it was a heated garage with heat lamps. Thats why I squint through the sand & rock dings instead of having a nice new clear window.
Dont use compressed ir to blow the lines out, it will separate the lines. Use a long zip tie or antenna mast nylon rack.

Aznav
United States of America
Aznav

Post by Aznav » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm
I would explore your sunroof drains and the tubing. I had a similar problem on my 2004 XC90 and it was the tubing - I used the splice trick - cut current tube and add about 1/2" of length by coupling the two pieces back together with a larger diameter hose which has an ID equal to the OD of the original tube. This added length, plus the clean out of the entire water path solved my problem.

Sunroofs leak a little bit. By design the amount of water leaking is handled by the drain system. When the drain system cannot handle it it leaks and 99% of the time it is because the system has an issue - it is 99% of the time not a capacity issue.

But, if your sunroof seals are seriously compromised that would fall in the 1% category.
WOW! THANKS! Funny thing. It's a driving rainstorm today and I had appointments. Got in the car at end of day to a literal pool of water in my Weather Tec driver place mat. So, going to work on it now to trace the leak. t'hat makes big sense. Just to clarify, you bought more tubing. Autoparts or hardware?

Aznav
United States of America
Aznav

Post by Aznav » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:02 pm

tardcart wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:54 pm
the reason GG asked about the windshield is unless you had the dealer put it in it will usually leak. (maby then too) the aftermarket ones arnt slumped to the right shape and there arnt good installers. You may have noticed installers doing their job in a parking lot at work in a blizzard. It cant work. in the old days it was a heated garage with heat lamps. Thats why I squint through the sand & rock dings instead of having a nice new clear window.
Dont use compressed ir to blow the lines out, it will separate the lines. Use a long zip tie or antenna mast nylon rack.
AWESOME! THANK YOU. Going after it now. Post above talks about a pool...not puddle...in my Weather Tec mat.

Aznav
United States of America
Aznav

Post by Aznav » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:03 pm

ggleavitt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:59 pm
My bad, front drains are such a commonly reported concern that I made the assumption that they had already been checked.
Check your drains and let folks know what you find- https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... 10&t=72515 , https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... ain-repair

If the drains are not clogged, have a look at sunroof alignment. I had an issue last Fall with a sunroof that would leak only when it was heavily raining and had clean drains. Sunroof alignment resolved the issue.
No worries. That, for sure, is my backup plan. Also will check your links as well.

Aznav
United States of America
Aznav

Post by Aznav » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks to all! I removed the posts and, sure enough, the leaking one was clogged shut. The other one was almost clogged and took two "puffs" to clean it out. And you're right. I have never EVER had a repair job last a total of 15 minutes. Now. on to the rear window hatch!!
Attachments
IMG_1788.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg