IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2004 T6 sluggish / lower rpms and acceleration after oilchange

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Dan79
Year and Model: 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Dan79

2004 T6 sluggish / lower rpms and acceleration after oilchange

Post by Dan79 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:08 am

Has 205k miles. " brakes plus" changed our oil & according to them it's all a coincidence. Same place that told a friend they needed new calipers & they did not. Avoid them. Anyways, We've put 100 miles on driving it around in this sluggish state. It is consistent. No sudden jerks and it never dies. Just seems like a deeper slower idle and is quite slow and sluggish when accerlating. Can't cut across an intersection without a huge head start. Haven't driven it over 45mph. We Had oil and filter changed prior to this issue 6 days ago. Change was immediate after this oil change. 1st thing I Checked was for air escaping /airfilter loose or hose. Not that. No air leaks. Just a sluggish engine. Can't figure out what it is.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: 2004 T6 sluggish / lower rpms and acceleration after oilchange

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:12 pm

You ready - first place to look is at your turbo charger hoses. Start at the airbox and you will find your boost control solenoid. There are a number of hoses attached. Follow all of these to where they end. Make sure the hose is in good condition and not cracked or compromised. The main hose you want to look at is the one that goes from the solenoid back to the turbo chargers. The hose is hard to follow but will pop up around the transmission oil dipstick on the driver side rear corner of the engine. You can work backwards by finding the T fitting and pulling the hose from that end towards the front and watch the one that moves. There may be a hose holder enroute so account for that. The hose will join a plastic T fitting. On the three branches of the T fitting - there will be the one hose you are following that goes to the turbo charger boost solenoid, one small 4-6" hose to a hard metal pipe that runs the side of the valve cover area to the Bank 1 turbo, and one short hose 3-4" that goes to the bank 2 turbo on the driver side. This is the main hose that fails over time. On mine it was broken and as a result I had no turbos - no turbos means no power.

If you find this hose in bad condition you can replace this hose with stock hose from most auto shops. Bring in the piece and have them find you a replacement that can handle vacuum, oil and gas. It has to be thick enough to handle the pressure. Should be a few bucks. Do not buy coolant hose or washer fluid hose - the replacement hose HAS TO handle vacuum, oil, gas and handle some level of heat.

You should check the T fitting by making sure it is not cracked.

On wards - as you had your oil changed it could be that when they checked your air filter to up sell you - they dislodged a hose. There are three hoses that could have been disturbed. Two that plug under the large plastic pipe from below - looking at the car's windshield - right of center by the connection to the MAF pipe. The other hose that may have been disturbed goes to the smaller plastic pipe in the middle. If I recall slightly left of center while looking at the windshield.

One major question - do you have any codes or is the check engine light on? Check your connection to the MAF and make sure it is plugged in and the harness is not compromised. Check the other harness plugs in the air box area as they may have been disturbed.

With your miles I would focus on the turbo hoses unless they were recently replaced. Report back. If you have some judgment calls, post some pictures.

Dan79
United States of America
Dan79

Post by Dan79 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:38 pm

It has this code;

T 2405
Evap pump circuit low
& theres another existing code
I dont remember ,but nothing to do with this and frankly has been on for 2 years since I bougt it ans ran like a champ.
He did try to upsell a filter and then didn't even have one on hand. I changed the air filter out myself. It was actually 2 days after. Got one at Oreillys . a wix. Super simple swap. I have checked those hoses first thing but then i remembered the loss of power from the 1st day. What happened was Im in colorado . we had a huge storm and i was driving slow that first day to take the kids to the park a few blocks away to sled. and I remember feeling the loss of power that same day but I was distracted w this blizzard and I thought it was just the foot of snow I was driving through at the time. So not the air filter.
I think it could be the turbo. It drives okay..it just feels like that turbo is out. My question is would I hear some kind of abnormal sound if it was one of those hoses? Like a suckout sound? I could hear nothing out of the ordinary under the hood in idle or more rpms but it does seem like it could be the turbo because everything is consistent and normal just an overall reduction of about 25 -35 percent reaction and pickup.

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:51 pm

When my hose failed I had no sound, just a lack of turbo. The 3-4" rubber hose piece off that T going to Bank 2 turbo takes them both out. The similar tube on Bank 1 usually doesn't fail as the heat situation is much better.

If you have a pump or vacuum pump - you can disconnect the hose from the solenoid and test it from there. No pressure means you have a bad hose.

Dan79
United States of America
Dan79

Post by Dan79 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:46 pm

So today I ran a scan and I have a misfire in cylinder 6. I've read it can be the ignition coil or spark plug. Can it be another issue ? and how can I further trouble shoot to find out which it is?

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Besides checking your hoses the common practice is to swap the coil. So take the coil from #6, furthest one on driver side if I recall correctly, and swap it with #1. Then see if the error code follows to #1 or stays at #6.

If your plugs have not been serviced in sometime it may be worth changing them all out while you have things taken apart. This will take out the spark plugs as a source of problems. If the plugs have been serviced recently just swap coils and see what happens. It would make sense to take out the two plugs #6 and #1 to see what they look like relative to one another as the coils are already out. Take pictures as they may be useful later. Put the plugs back in the same place (assuming #6 passes a visual inspection) - don't swap them yet otherwise you are adding another potential test because you changed four things rather than two.

If the problem follows to #1 you know that coil is bad and needs to be replaced. At this point I would buy two new coils, and keep one as a spare. Visually look at the coils and look for cracks and charring or rubber boot damage.

Dan79
United States of America
Dan79

Post by Dan79 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Okay. Will follow up. Ty