IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Clearing Codes that Come Right Back

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Mrfiacus
Year and Model: 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Mrfiacus

Clearing Codes that Come Right Back

Post by Mrfiacus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:02 pm

Greetings.

I have a Volvo S60 2.4t. A 2003. I have a diagnostic tool and am cable to clear the srs-00d4 and dim 0003 codes which then removes the SRS WARNING LIGHT and orange warning triangle. I can drive around for a bit with no problem but if I turn off the car and restart the warning returns.

I looked around and have not seen this particular issue so I thought I’d check here.
Thanks.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Clearing Codes that Come Right Back

Post by abscate » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:15 pm

It’s probably failings the self test on turn on. I’ll try to find the troubleshooting steps

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Need to fix the SRS light circuit in the DIM (Driver Information Module)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SRS-00D4 SRS indicator lamp. Faulty function. Permanent fault

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information SRS-00D4

Condition
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the supplemental restraint system module (SRS) receives a CAN signal indicating that the LED in the combined instrument panel is broken.

Substitute value
None.

Possible source
Damaged LED in the driver information module (DIM).

Fault symptoms
The SRS indicator lamp does not light when the ignition is switched on
General warning lamp lit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIM-0003 SRS-lamp. Faulty circuit

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information DIM-0003

Condition
Note! The illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and / or models. Some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct.
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the driver information module (DIM) detects an internal open-circuit in the circuit for the SRS warning lamp.

Substitute value
None.

Possible source
Hardware fault

Fault symptoms
The SRS warning lamp does not light
General red warning lamp lit.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

Mrfiacus
United States of America
Mrfiacus

Post by Mrfiacus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 am

This is great intel and I thank you for the qwik reply.

I will have a look at the DIM LEDs.

Does anyone know if these codes effect the operation of the airbags? Don’t want to be driving around unprotected.

Thanks so much.

537playing
Year and Model: 2005 S60
United States of America
537playing

Post by 537playing » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:30 am

What did you do before the SRS light came on? Any particular work with electronics? If so then you can reset that light with a VIDA program. Perhaps someone here is close by to run that software on your car. Or go to a dealer to reset the light. That’s if you were doing electrical stuff on the car.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Mrfiacus wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 am
This is great intel and I thank you for the qwik reply.

I will have a look at the DIM LEDs.

Does anyone know if these codes effect the operation of the airbags? Don’t want to be driving around unprotected.

Thanks so much.
This debate can get scorchy so assume you are not protected by the air bag

We don’t have access to the SRS code so no one here knows what fault conditions inhibit what SRS operation.

The official MVS position is that if the SRS light is on, the airbags are assumed inoperative.

People are free to disagree by

1 posting the source code refuting this

Or

2 debating on Swede speed

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
7 Drivers

Mrfiacus
United States of America
Mrfiacus

Post by Mrfiacus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Got it and thanks.

When you say we don’t have access to the source code are you referring to something different than the codes I pulled with my diagnostic computer?

Those being mentioned in my first post, I mean.

Thanks for everything.

Glad you all are here.

Ed

Mrfiacus
United States of America
Mrfiacus

Post by Mrfiacus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Also, I was NOT doing anything electrical.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Yes, I meant source code as in the instruction set in firmware in the SRS module,

That’s secret to Volvo. We had a rambunctious debate about this with the conclusion that no one has ever seen the code that determines what diasables the SRS and Volvo won’t tell you, of course, they will just say “get your car fixed”

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
7 Drivers

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm

The diagnostic system in the Volvo allows one to clear codes, but after a drive cycle or sometimes a few drive cycles the codes will come back. Generally, on the first restart the code will register and be seen as "pending" by most diagnostic tools. After the next drive cycle it will become a hard code and trigger the light on your display. Sometimes, as stated before, it takes a few drive cycles to go from pending to actual displayed hard code. This is just an overview - it is more complicated. What you need to understand is just because the code cleared doesn't mean the problem is resolved. Depending on the system it may take more drive cycles to become a hard fault code that displays on the DIM (Driver Information Module a/k/a dashboard). That out of the way you need to figure out what is wrong with your DIM. Rick's post points to the DIM as the problem - it has an issue with the internal circuitry. DIMs do fail - like any electronic component. I am not sure if the 2003 S60 has the solder issues some of the earlier model years had, but it is possible.

Your options here are:

1) Have the dealer replace the DIM and reload the appropriate software (expensive but problem is solved with minimal hassle at maximum cost;

2) Find a used DIM (like year, options, model) and swap them. The draw back here is first getting the correct DIM and second deciding whether you want to live with an odometer discrepancy. As I understand it, only reading posts, the system will display the highest mileage it sees. So if the donor DIM is 140k miles and your car has 100k miles the DIM will read 140k. Now if the car has 140k and the DIM has 100k the DIM will display 140k. So buying a used DIM with lower miles than your car will show the correct mileage;

3) Send your DIM to a repair facility, Xemodex does excellent work and has great reviews but is not the cheapest, and have them repair the DIM. They should be able to isolate the damaged circuit in the DIM and do a board level repair. Your DIM will come back exactly how it was, but repaired. You can go to the Xemodex website and find out the cost and what is required. Down side is you will not have a DIM during the process; or

4) Pull the DIM and try to trouble shoot it yourself. Maybe you get lucky and find out the problem. It could be just a matter of reflowing the solder joints or it could be actual failed components. If you are really good at this, being a SValley electrical wiz, you could source a used DIM and use it as a source of repair parts. This is crazy technical, but it can be done if one has the knowledge and time. Rick's post, based on the codes, focuses the problem on the LED. I am not sure it is a physical LED or the LED circuit.

Abscate's post concerning the source code is in reference to whether the airbags are still functional or not when the light is displayed. As no one on the forum has the actual source code to see what the Volvo programmers did under your car's error conditions, one cannot state whether the airbags are operational. It is possible that for your failure the programmers allowed for the airbags to deploy in an accident, but it is possible they did not. Without the source code, and an understanding of how it works, no one save the engineering team and related know the answer. There is no safe bet here. If you are going to drive the car assume they work and assume they don't work. Wear a seat belt and don't have one's legs on the dash or any body part that can get wacked by a deployed airbag.

Finally, do some added research on my #2 to make sure I am correct. There are many discussions on this on the forum.