IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

240 Blower motor "quick fix"

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.
1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90
jpgurley
Year and Model: 2001 xc70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jpgurley

240 Blower motor "quick fix"

Post by jpgurley » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am

Recently my 1990 Volvo 240 wagon started the dreaded "squealing pig" fan noise although I knew the motor was not very old.

As I thought about ordering a new motor and pulling the dash apart to do the fun job I decided to try something different. I was inspired by a recent "laparoscopic surgery" that my wife had to repair a hernia. Three small scars and all was well. So. . . why not drill three holes in the side of the blower housing on each side and spray in some lube. At first I tried one hole but missed the sweet spot. So with three 1/2 inch holes I shined a light through one hole, looked in the second and drilled a 1/4 inch hole near the center shaft of the fan itself (about 3/4 inch from center) drilling with a long bit in the third hole. Then put the WD40 spray nozzle through the third hole and sprayed.

It shut right up! I taped up the holes up and the only downside is the smell which I expect to dissipate soon. Access was easy with the two side panels removed and the bolster on the driver's side out.

I wish I had thought of this years ago. I saved HOURS of work and so far so good. If it comes back I will repeat the process. Most of these motors that I have replaced in the past were not worn out but rather a dry bushing caused the noise.

Hope this shadetree repair helps you guys from being frustrated by one of the 240's most famous problems.

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Re: 240 Blower motor "quick fix"

Post by 93Regina » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 pm

jpgurley wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am
I wish I had thought of this years ago.
Hot Bricks

The earliest car heaters were strange items. Back in the early 1900s, objects called “heater boxes” were popular. These were low-profile metal boxes covered with a carpet-like fabric that you could slide a heated brick into. The bricks were usually heated in a fireplace or oven before trips. After the hot brick was placed in them, they would then be placed on the car’s floor and would help heat the feet and legs of the driver and passengers. It was crude but they provided a bit of relief from the cold.

GreenLion
Year and Model: S40, 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
GreenLion

Post by GreenLion » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:23 pm

I know this is an old thread, but would you be willing to post a photo? I'm going to have to do this soon and would like to try your fix before taking the dash apart.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Instead of drilled holes use the holes the red and black wires pass out of on forward front bottom of housing. Get very slender vac hose that the little hose on WD-40 cans and other stuff have on them. Get a blower nozzle that has the long slender tube and bend the end about 90 degrees. Tape or heat shrink tubing the vac line to the nozzle to end next to the end of metal tube. DO NOT USE WD-40!!! get CRC 5-56 or Any real spray oil. not penetrating spray oil. Use an oil you like the fragrance of as you will smell it for a time. The idea is to fog the inside of the blower motor. It will get into bushing and brushes. Either can be what makes it chirp. Year ago when 240s were new cars I replaced dozens of those blower motors but a lot came back within months chirping again. Fogging the motor was permanent cure for many and for others it took the 2nd or 3rd application and then the car would never come back for that noise. Sure, if the blower motor is worn out this will not fix it. Really loose or bound bushings the motor shaft rides on can be beyond the help of oil. Let the blower motor stay off for 30 min and it won't push the oil out as a fog and get on the windshield or wherever.