IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

tranny clunk

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

xtwister
Year and Model: 2001 Volvo V70 T5
Has thanked: 0
Canada
xtwister

Re: tranny clunk

Post by xtwister » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:16 pm

SuperHerman: Thanks again for your response and really appreciate it: Lots for me to think about.

I did call the dealer today about the software update. The service advisor said $48 for programming and then put me to parts for the software. The parts guy said in 15 years of him being with volvo I was the first person asking for the tcm software upgrade. He reluctantly gave me the price of 77 So $130 isnt bad price for the update.

I didnt even think about the vida software that I'm using is too new. I guess I'll try to find the 2011 version and see if that allows me try the adaption?

When I drive the car in geartronic mode it will still clunk in 4th if I drove normally. I can control the shift into 4th and really ease into it and will not slam at all, if I'm in 3rd and let off the gas and wait for rpms to drop and then go into 4th.

I have been looking into replacing the solenoids since you mentioned it in your first reply. Also have the same gut feeling that you do, that this will be what I'll have to do in the end. Looked at the vids on dropping the subframe a couple of inches to access the panel.

This is more of a project car that I saved from junk yard because of this issue and I hardly drive it since I have a daily. That is one reason I wanted to do the adaption. It would take months for it to adapt on its own since I will only drive it once a week or so.

I will probably abandon the idea of getting another tcm since most likely it wont have updated programming. Mostly due to Volvo saying that I'm the first guy who asked for an update. Also from researching saying that I can only use 2001 or 2002 tcm.

xtwister
Year and Model: 2001 Volvo V70 T5
Has thanked: 0
Canada
xtwister

Re: tranny clunk

Post by xtwister » Fri May 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Thought i would make an update: Didn't do the transmission update. The transmission started to drive fine with no slams into 4th.
I took it to a tire shop to get new tires. On the trip home it was slamming into 4th again and never went away even after 20 minutes of driving. I got a transmission service message. cleared it and it came back since it was slamming into 4th. Parked it.

Next day I added a little over 1/4 liter of transmission fluid, hoping that some of the trans tune fluid dissipated.

Took it for a drive and it worked flawless again. Took it again to work and back and it drove flawless again.

Hoping for the best because when the trans works the 18 year old car drives like new and enjoyable to drive.

I guess my plan right now is to drive it more times to work. If it starts slamming into 4th again I'll look into taking the task on of replacing the
solenoids by Rostra.

Should I dump out the trans fluid again? I did 2 drop and refills (8ish liters so far)