IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Walru5
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Walru5

Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by Walru5 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Things I’m experiencing:
-Check engine light flashing
-Code P0300
-Very rough misfiring
-Engine will run idling but will stall out if I don’t rev it at 4000 for a minute before I let it idle.
-Have to jump car before starting it or it just dies after a couple cranks right before it starts.

Things I’ve tried:
-New genuine spark plugs
-New Duralast ignition coils
-Checked compression on every cylinder
-Fuel pressure is 55 at idle (Not sure this is good or bad)
-Timing belt is very tight
-Tested all the wiring for the ignition coils and all of them are good. Also tested the wiring for the fuel injectors and they all are good also.
-Cleaned out the fuel injectors and the rail with carb cleaner.

Nothing has changed after doing all of this so I’m lost now. The only other thing I can guess is a vacuum leak but I’m unsure that would cause such a rough mirfire.



User avatar
RickHaleParker
Posts: 2389
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:30 pm
Year and Model: See Signature below.
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 257 times
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by RickHaleParker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Possible sources
  • 1. Fuel stoppage.
    2. Repeated cold starting where the engine coolant temperature (ECT) has not reached normal operating temperature between starts.
    3. Water in spark plug wells.
    4. Defective spark plugs, ignition cables, ignition coil or flywheel / pulse wheel.
    5. Contaminated fuel or incorrect fuel type.
    6. Blocked / leaking injector.
    7. Intermittent open-circuit, intermittent short-circuit to ground, intermittent short-circuit to voltage supply, contact resistance or loose connection in the ignition system low-tension side, in the injector circuit or fuel pump (FP) circuit.
    8. Blocked crankcase ventilation.
    9. Damaged VVT-unit.
    10. Moisture, flashover in the ignition system on HT side.
    11. Leakage between cooling system and cylinder.
    12. Uneven compression.
    13. Restricted exhaust


Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

User avatar
oragex
Posts: 4005
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:
Canada
oragex

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by oragex » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm

How did you clean the injectors? I got a flashing light when one injector was kaput after I soaked it in acetone

Turbo, N/A? Miles ?

The fuel pressure is about good, not sure about the Duralast brand, maybe try a few used Bosch from the junkyard

Here's how to find which is cylinder misfiring www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwtZCWU7u8


2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

Walru5
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Walru5

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by Walru5 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:12 pm

oragex wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm
How did you clean the injectors? I got a flashing light when one injector was kaput after I soaked it in acetone

Turbo, N/A? Miles ?

The fuel pressure is about good, not sure about the Duralast brand, maybe try a few used Bosch from the junkyard

Here's how to find which is cylinder misfiring www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwtZCWU7u8
Non turbo just the 20cyl and 211,xxx miles. It was running great and this literally happened as I was driving.

I cleaned the injectors with sprays of carb cleaner, didn’t soak. I’ll check out that video and also while the car idles the lights in the car are flickering.



Walru5
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Walru5

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by Walru5 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:19 pm

oragex wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm
How did you clean the injectors? I got a flashing light when one injector was kaput after I soaked it in acetone

Turbo, N/A? Miles ?

The fuel pressure is about good, not sure about the Duralast brand, maybe try a few used Bosch from the junkyard

Here's how to find which is cylinder misfiring www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwtZCWU7u8
Checked out the video and when I unplugged cylinder 1 and cylinder 2’s ignition coils nothing happens with the car running but the other 3 change the idle.



User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 16651
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 483 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by abscate » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:04 am

Check that you didn’t reverse number 1 and 2 wiring harness to The coils, easy to do. I believe the colour coding is preserved across Volvo models.


1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

Walru5
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Walru5

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by Walru5 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:58 am

abscate wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:04 am
Check that you didn’t reverse number 1 and 2 wiring harness to The coils, easy to do. I believe the colour coding is preserved across Volvo models.
I’m not even sure I could switch them, I just looked and the wires are pretty stiff since the car is so old. The cyl 2 connector can’t reach cyl 1 because of the way it’s stiff.



User avatar
oragex
Posts: 4005
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 139 times
Contact:
Canada
oragex

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by oragex » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 am

Walru5 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:19 pm
oragex wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm
How did you clean the injectors? I got a flashing light when one injector was kaput after I soaked it in acetone

Turbo, N/A? Miles ?

The fuel pressure is about good, not sure about the Duralast brand, maybe try a few used Bosch from the junkyard

Here's how to find which is cylinder misfiring www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwtZCWU7u8
Checked out the video and when I unplugged cylinder 1 and cylinder 2’s ignition coils nothing happens with the car running but the other 3 change the idle.

So you have two cylinders with misfire. When you put the two coils from cyl 1,2 on the cyl 3,4, where the cyl 3,4 misfiring ? (no reaction when unplugged)


2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

EngineeringBloke
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 pm
Year and Model: 2006 2.5T S60
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 18 times
United States of America
EngineeringBloke

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by EngineeringBloke » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:18 am

Did you replace the injector O-rings after the cleaning? Might be leaking fuel/air around aged rings.



Walru5
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Walru5

Re: Random Misfiring Engine S60 03

Post by Walru5 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:58 am

oragex wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 am
Walru5 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:19 pm
oragex wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm
How did you clean the injectors? I got a flashing light when one injector was kaput after I soaked it in acetone

Turbo, N/A? Miles ?

The fuel pressure is about good, not sure about the Duralast brand, maybe try a few used Bosch from the junkyard

Here's how to find which is cylinder misfiring www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwtZCWU7u8
Checked out the video and when I unplugged cylinder 1 and cylinder 2’s ignition coils nothing happens with the car running but the other 3 change the idle.

So you have two cylinders with misfire. When you put the two coils from cyl 1,2 on the cyl 3,4, where the cyl 3,4 misfiring ? (no reaction when unplugged)
When I swapped them to different slots the engine acted as when it did when I unplugged the working coils before swapping.



Post Reply