IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2016 XC60 Engine Over Heating Issue.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 and XC60.
jwlewisiii
Year and Model: 2016 XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jwlewisiii

2016 XC60 Engine Over Heating Issue.

Post by jwlewisiii » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:34 am

I have a 2016 XC60 (first Volvo I have owned) with a little over 60k miles on it. Lately while driving, I have been getting the engine temperature to high warning on the dashboard. I pull to the side of the road turn the car off and back on and no issue with engine heat. It doesn't happen every time I drive the car. Maybe every few days I'll get the warning. I checked the coolant levels the first time it happen. The coolant was fine. The second time it happen I check the coolant again and the coolant was below the min line. After opening the coolant lid, it made a decompressing sound and the coolant raised back to above the min line. I tried using a obd2 scanner but it returned no errors. Any ideas what might be the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

regent
Year and Model: 2015 XC60 T5
United States of America
regent

Re: 2016 XC60 Engine Over Heating Issue.

Post by regent » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:53 am

Welcome aboard!

I would see what the engine temp guage on the dash is showing when the overtemp message appears.
Also, with a generic OBD2 scan tool one could read/monitor the coolant temp in real time.

Did you ever see or hear the rad fan come on?

Check if you have been loosing coolant (always check level when cold)

Example of Precision: Measure with a Micrometer, mark it with Chalk, and then cut it with an Axe.
Disclaimer: We (very) seldom do that

2015 BMW 335i
2015 XC60 T5 Premier Plus
2002 S60 2.4 n/a - retired :(
1987 340 DL - retired :(