IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

99 S70 p1017 and p1620 code dead end

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
Finalvolvo101
Year and Model: 99 s70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Finalvolvo101

99 S70 p1017 and p1620 code dead end

Post by Finalvolvo101 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello All!

Recently I have been trying to trouble shoot my sisters 99 s70 115k on the clock. She has a sporadic check engine light and an unusually long delay on the radiator fan after shutdown. Codes when read are p1017 and p1620. Mind you the car runs like a champ always fires up with no misses.

So here is the rundown on what’s been replaced. New ETM from xemodeox due to a failing oem module causing it to have a rough idle. New temp sensor, fan relay, engine main relay, o2 sensors, mass air flow sensor, cam position sensor.

So besides replacing a bunch of parts we also checked for vacuum leaks found one fixed it. Also checked the ETM harness following xemodex’s flow chart for a broken wire or bad ground all checked good.

The only thing that some how makes a little sense that her a/c is broken had a leak and is drained. Since it’s drained the compressor won’t engage and the fan doesn’t speed up like it should the ECM sees the fan speed hasn’t changed and throws this weird code. I have no idea if the ECM has any control over the a/c compressor. Beside my therory she says the “cabin air Recirculator” switch and “off” light in the switch on her air control module on her dash blink. Before the fan increases in speed and stays on after the car is shutdown.

I feel as though I’m pulling at strings with the a/c theory but it’s all I got at this point. Short of having Volvo scan it and see what they say.

I appreciate all the help!! Thanks!!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 99 S70 p1017 and p1620 code dead end

Post by abscate » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:51 pm

If you used any aftermarket parts get rid of them , especially the MAF.

The ECU or ECM controls the AC system on a 99, so if there are problems it can manifest it self with wired fan behaviour
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
Finalvolvo101

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:16 pm

P01620 = EFI-514 Engine cooling fan (FC), low-speed. Signal too high. Permanent fault

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information EFI-514
EFI-514 Engine cooling fan (FC) low-speed, signal

Condition
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) EFI-514 is stored if there is a short-circuit to ground/supply voltage or open-circuit in the engine cooling fan (FC) signal cable.

Shorted wiring harness or defective engine cooling fan.

-----------------------------------------------------------

P1017 = ECM-900E Engine control module (ECM), internal fault. Faulty signal X Where X = 1-12
(Would be better if you have Vida-DiCE so that you could read X)

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) informationECM-900E

Condition
Faulty signal 1-11: The engine control module (ECM) performs a number of internal tests to check that the processor, software and memory are operating properly. If any of these tests registers a problem, then diagnostic trouble code ECM-900E Engine control module, Internal error, Faulty signal 1-11, is stored.

Faulty signal 12: Engine control module (ECM) calculates the air mass in to the engine using, among other, information about the throttle position, engine rpm, air temperature, atmospheric pressure and pressure in the intake manifold. The calculated air mass is then used to check the signals from the mass air flow sensor and the intake manifold pressure sensor. If Engine control module (ECM) registers that the signal from any of these two sensors deviate sufficiently from the calculated air mass, then diagnostic trouble code ECM-900E Engine control module, Internal error, Faulty signal 12, is stored.
For upgraded software, released during year 2006 or later, certain adjustments have been made. For upgraded software, released in 2006 or later, adjustments have been made to substitute values. For Faulty signal 12, the diagnostic trouble code will only be stored when the measured air mass from the mass air flow sensor is sufficiently much greater than the calculated air mass.
Identifying upgraded software ECM/ETM

Substitute value
Fuel cut-off that follows accelerator pedal position.
Engine speed is regulated via fuel cut-off by deactivating the injectors one at a time. Engine speed is determined by gas pedal position sensor position and engine speed is maximized to about 5000 rpm.
This reconfiguration can cause the engine to idle very unevenly since the engine control module (ECM) regulates engine speed by cutting of the fuel to the cylinders individually. Do not confuse this reconfiguration (engine behavior) with an actual driveability problem that was present before reconfiguration.

Closing of throttle during braking.
The accelerator pedal position is ignored when the brake pedal is depressed.

Throttle follows accelerator pedal position.
The throttle and accelerator pedal are used as if they were mechanically connected. This reconfiguration is always followed by fuel cut-off.

Cruise control off.
Cruise control off during entire operating cycle in which fault was detected. If the fault is no longer present, the function is available the next time the car is started.
For upgraded software, released in 2006 or later, adjustments have been made to substitute values. Cruise control will not be operable and the throttle will follow the accelerator pedal position during the operating cyles in which the fault is active.
Identifying upgraded software ECM/ETM

Possible source
Faulty signal 1 -11
  • defective engine control module (ECM).

Faulty signal 12
  • contact resistance
    air leakage
    the exhaust camshaft has jumped off the cogs
    air leak downstream of the mass air flow (MAF) sensor
    defective manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
    defective mass air flow (MAF) sensor
    defective engine control module (ECM).

Fault symptoms
  • electronic throttle system warning lamp lit
    the cruise control does not operate
    uneven idle
    malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
Finalvolvo101

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

wizechatmgr
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC AWD 2.4T
United States of America
wizechatmgr

Post by wizechatmgr » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:57 pm

I'd double check that fan relay - especially if it isn't Volvo. Sometimes the connections to it get rather corroded. I know at one point I had a similar error, literally just had to clean the connections off with a wire brush.
These users thanked the author wizechatmgr for the post:
Finalvolvo101

Wisdom requires knowledge as a prerequisite, but knowledge can be developed due to a lack of wisdom.
In order to learn how to fix something, you must first learn how to break it.
1999 V70 XC AWD - ~172k miles

Finalvolvo101
Year and Model: 99 s70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Finalvolvo101

Post by Finalvolvo101 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:23 am

Thank you all for the advice and the description of the trouble codes!

All parts used were OEM or OEM equivalent ordered on FCP euro. Checked the fan relay connections they are all clean no corrosion. I may try and swap the fan out I have a spare fan from another S70 in my parts pile that was good when taken off the car. Other than that I may have to drop some coin and try and fix the A/C system which would be nice to have A/C.