IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC 90 will not turn over and doors will not lock/unlock with key or master switch

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ricebw2
Year and Model: XC90 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ricebw2

XC 90 will not turn over and doors will not lock/unlock with key or master switch

Post by ricebw2 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:17 am

This started last night. Coming home the windshield wipers just came on by themselves and the headlights went out briefly and then came back on. This happened twice within 2-3 minutes before I arrived home. When I tried to lock the doors once at home, the master switch did nothing. I had to manually lock each door and the rear deck won't lock at all. When I tried to start the car, it won't even try to turn over, much less start. The dash panel lights come on but the headlights only come on full...no DRLs and no parking lights. Any help would be appreciated.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: XC 90 will not turn over and doors will not lock/unlock with key or master switch

Post by ggleavitt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Basic question- is this the original battery? If yes, the battery needs replaced as a start.

Raining recently? Any noticeable moisture in driver side compartment? Could pop the cover under the driver side dash, look at the CEM (it'll be the old style), see if anything is obvious for corrosion on the top or sides. Could also pop the hood and look under the perforated corners at the base of the windshield with a flashlight, see if the cowl drains are clear of debris.

Older Volvo wackiness is often due to a weak battery, but this is an early model car so it has the older over-CEM plenum cover. Both are worth checking in my opinion.

Good luck with your repair.

2005 2.5T AWD-194k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-124k