IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

'92 245 Front Brake Issues with Warping Rotors

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

mdm+mfm
Year and Model: 245, 1992
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
mdm+mfm

'92 245 Front Brake Issues with Warping Rotors

Post by mdm+mfm » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 am

Hello,

In December of 2017, I had the front brakes done on the front of my wagon. When they were first done, they worked great, but after a few months of normal driving (no riding brakes or anything like that), I started getting vibrations with higher speed braking. After complaining to the shop, they replaced the pads and rotors, and went on again, and after a few months, the problem began again. My schedule was insane last year and was not able to take it in do get addressed, and literally, I ended up trashing the rotors, so I went back again in December of 2018. On a back note, I have known this mechanic for years (he is a friend of mine), and he is one of the most thorough, knowledgeable, honest people I have dealt with, so I am not dealing with what I would consider a second rate individual.

This time, he called his parts dealer and explained the problem. His contact suggested that the hoses might be collapsing internally, causing residual pressure to keep the calipers engaged, so to cover all the bases, the rubber lines were replaced, the calipers (which we think were original) were replaced, and the pads/rotors as well. Everything was a premium quality so as to avoid the possibility of another problem.

Approximately four months later, I am now experiencing the same problem yet again. To reiterate, I do not drive crazy or ride my brakes at all. I called the shop, and I am taking back again tomorrow. The owner said I should find out if there was a recall back in the day for this. I use to have an '86 245, and I never had any such problem with the car.

Has anyone else ever had such a problem? Could it be the master cylinder? The hard brake lines? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Matt

tardcart
Year and Model: 96 850t. 93 940t
United States of America
tardcart

Re: '92 245 Front Brake Issues with Warping Rotors

Post by tardcart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 am

normally I would say its the Chinese rotors. Have the mechanic put a dial indicator on and see if they are warped, or just have build up or hot spots on them which can feel like warped rotors. If that's the case change pad brand to volvo and try that. Its best to use volvo for the pads anyhow.
If the rotors are warped, and they are not Chineese, then its from heat. the first culperate is one of the calipers is sticking. You took care of the lines, so the next is the power booster rod if adjustable is too long(dont think they are on volvo). remote possibility is balance valve holding residual pressure. but you should be able to feel drag when the tire is spun when jacked up.
If your hub bearing is loose it will feel like warped rotors too.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:28 am

I deal with this problem all the time. If I have a vehicle I m repairing with brake vibration I inspect calipers for not sliding on mounts, or in the case of your car with fixed front calipers, I inspect the pistons individually for retracting when pried with similar effort. If all of that is OK then I mount a rotor and secure with spacers behind lug nuts and chack the lateral run-out with a dial gauge. If the runout is over the very low spec then I move rotor one lug stud spacing and check again and note the number in crayon on the rotor. If I find a postion where the run-out is OK then I leave it there and re-assemble. The bolt that holds rotor is a convenience for handling parts for manufacture and for service but is TOTALLY unnecessary for any functional reason so I mount rotor and forget the bolt. Volvo had a service bulleting more than 20 years ago for 700/900 models that at the time had huge problem with front rotor caused vibratons. That bulleting had you measure and move rotors when replacing them if the standard bolt hole loction proved to be out of spec.If nno positon is within spec then the hub is replaced and the process is repeated. I am assuming front rotor vibration that is felt in steering wheel. Rear rotor vibration felt in whole body with no sense of it in steering wheel can be handled the same way but I have not had that problem where new rotors was not effective as a long term one time fix.

mdm+mfm
Year and Model: 245, 1992
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
mdm+mfm

Post by mdm+mfm » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:15 pm

My friend went premium on everything, so no junk parts. They start out fine and then get warped as time goes on, so something is doing it for sure. Yes, the rotor vibration is felt in the steering wheel, primarily at higher speed braking (60+), but I am noticing it as well now going slow, and that is after they are well warmed up. Thanks for the items to check; I appreciate it. It's maddening trying to get this addressed and then keep coming back to address it again, but these are good suggestions. If anything is discovered, I will post it.