IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 propeller shaft removal

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
MrClean365
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MrClean365

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 propeller shaft removal

Post by MrClean365 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm

I've been working on removal of the front propeller shaft CV Joint from car for a couple of days. Finally the entire shaft for the exception of the CV Joint stuck in the angle gear. I can't get the leverage on the CV joint to remove with a pry bar, let alone is there room to swing a hammer. There are two additional (Maybe Threaded) holes on the back side of the angle gear. In my research they are listed in the service manual to be used in removal of the CV joint. States that these are M8X20. However in using M8x20 bolts, the diameter seems larger maybe M9 (know if I can find) or maybe a M10.

Does anyone have an answer? Maybe suggestion or resource.
Last edited by matthew1 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, no "HELP" in titles. Thank you.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: 2005 Volvo XC90 V8 propeller shaft removal

Post by jimmy57 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 am

I have gotten these off by putting car in gear and tapping the accelerator pedal to move car. Do it on grass or slick finish concrete. You want a little front wheel slip and the rear AWD system to be triggered. That will put the driveshaft under load and shear it loose from flange. The rear of driveshaft has to be attached as well as the center support bearing.

MrClean365
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MrClean365

Post by MrClean365 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks Jimmy. Unfortunately I’m well past the point of no return on this project to do that. The entire CV joint from the front separated from the entire prop. shaft, with what’s remaining in the angle gear. I’ll send some pictures out. Best guess is that it’s seized in with rust. I’ve used PB plaster daily spraying on for a week, tried heating angle gear housing, even notching a line in remnants of CV for pry bar leverage with angle grinder. Thing won’t budge or can’t get enough leverage to pry loose. I’ve got the replacement prop shaft ready to go in. Rear dropped out with a wack of a hammer.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:19 pm

OK.
Plan b is grind deep grooves at an angle towards rear, free end of grinding disc towards front of car, into the sides of CVj. You want two opposite grooves deep enough for two jawed puller jaws to catch. You may have to used a nut or socket on top of pinion end to give you something for puller center bolt to push against.
Plan c is use mig welder and weld two 8x1.25 or 5/16 coarse or fine nuts to the CVj over the bolt holes. Run a 8x1.25 bolt into the flange from forward side 17 mm or more. alternately tighten bolts screwed down into the nuts touching the flange bolts to push CV off. the flange bolts are to protect the flange threads since the removal bolts are limited to the same size as the flange threads by the bolt holes in CVj.