IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Faulty ETM causing MAF sensor codes? Wiring harness replacement necessary?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
RED2019
Year and Model: 2001 s80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
RED2019

Faulty ETM causing MAF sensor codes? Wiring harness replacement necessary?

Post by RED2019 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 am

hi all,

I have a 2001 s80 with 225k miles. it has run like a champ for the ~40k miles that i've had it, until it started having a few issues:

-rough idle
-rpm surge and drops, causing stalling
-gas pedal became unresponseive several times, solved by a restart
-cruise control doesn't engage (no 'cruise' icon when button is pressed)
-several fault codes, including P0102 (MAF getting low voltage)

Dealership says they would start with replacing ETM which they are 98% sure is causing the ETM codes. After that they can't be sure if the MAF would also need to be replaced. If the MAF needs to be replaced, they claim the wiring harness for the MAF would also need to be replaced. The reason the WH would need to be replaced, according to them, is that the newer stock MAFs have a different input than what the old WH on my car currently has. Can anyone confirm this?

How hard is a wiring harness for a MAF to replace DIY with an experienced mechanic? Furthermore, if they do the $1000 ETM replacement, would it be likely the car would at least be able to run without stalling until i would be able to replace the MAF myself?

Thanks for reading

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Faulty ETM causing MAF sensor codes? Wiring harness replacement necessary?

Post by mrbrian200 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:02 pm

There's a fair chance the MAF code will go away after the ETM is replaced.

It appears Volvo is no longer carrying that particular MAF although the Bosch equivalent is still available in the aftermarket. Bosch makes them. Can anyone point to a TSB where Volvo has specified a newer compatible Volvo branded MAF along with replacement of the harness to make it work? That seems somewhat extreme just to maintain parts branding when the supplier that actually made them still makes them.