IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Another successful AW55 "resurrection"

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

volvodork
Year and Model: 2001 X/C 70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
volvodork

Another successful AW55 "resurrection"

Post by volvodork » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:17 pm

first off, many thanks to Precopster, Cuhfs, and Nautic for their great collaboration on devising a way to open up the transmission internal filter to cure pump starvation and restore normal transmission operation.
My symptoms: I recently decided to do a trans drain & fill since this X/C 70 had not been maintained very well and I knew it needed to be done. Got the Idemitsu Type IV fluid from FCP along with an updated B4 servo kit (while I was in there—what the heck). Soon after trans developed a whine which I thought was my power steering pump. Then, I got the dreaded “incorrect gear ratio” and TCC codes and trans started not shift properly and would only go about 40mph at high RPMs. Barely limped it home and started my research. Found the link to poke holes in the filter and decided to go ahead (especially since Precopster has been driving his car for a couple years after this “repair”).

WOW!!! JUST WOW!! My trans is now working like NEW and this has CURED some of my issues I had previously as listed below. I believe that this fix has solved these issues because of the increased line pressure as a result of opening up the “clog” in the system at the internal filter.

Issue 1: I had a delayed/harsh engagement of Drive from Neutral when warm—-GONE!
Issue 2: I had delayed/harsh downshift when accelerating around corners which I slowed down for—-GONE!
Issue 3: I never had crisp or smooth shifts but they were not horrible (why I added the updated servo)—-GONE!

Couple of notes if you are considering this procedure, I used a 10mmx1.5 bolt which was plenty big enough to use a small Phillips screw driver to get most of the filter opened up but I did also use a flexible metal wire to make sure I got other areas of the filter opened up as well.

The case is VERY THIN in this area and if I did it again, I would have used a 1.0 pitch bolt in order to get more threads tapped for increased “hold” as mentioned in the original fix post. You DON’T want to try and torque this bolt too much or you WILL strip out the hole due to the thin aluminum (about 2mm) in the case. I used a small-head bolt with washer and a nitrile O-ring to seal it up I will see how the long-term leak prevention turns out.

Overall, this was an excellent repair and again, THANKS to those who brainstormed this fix and I can now enjoy my X/C new lease on life!! :D
These users thanked the author volvodork for the post:
marcus

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Another successful AW55 “resurrection”!!

Post by abscate » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:25 pm

You guys have some real cajones to drill holes in your transmissions - well done!!!
Attachments
MVS Volvo Horns.jpg
MVS Volvo Horns.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 219 times

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

marcus
Year and Model: S60 2002
Been thanked: 0
marcus

Re: Another successful AW55 "resurrection"

Post by marcus » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm

I can not imagine what did you do. Can you please show where I can find more details about this repair?
Last edited by marcus on Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

volvodork
Year and Model: 2001 X/C 70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
volvodork

Re: Another successful AW55 "resurrection"

Post by volvodork » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:41 am

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82841

If that link doesn’t work just search for “AW55 woes” and it comes up. It’s a very long discussion but will give you all the information you need to decide if this is appropriate for you.
These users thanked the author volvodork for the post (total 2):
marcusRvolvos