The only stated issue is that the ABS light comes on intermittently, which I gather is common. Do you agree that that's no biggie?
Here's my notes from reading this forum, let me know if anything to add:
- look at full service records
- mid '98 and up have mechanical timing belt tensioner that should be changed with each belt change. Has the belt been changed yet? (it's supposed to be done at 105k) If so did they change the tensioner too?
- after test drive pull dip stick with engine fully warm. look for smoke. PCV system gets clogged. To check the PCV system can also do the "balloon test" / glove test. (
- when it's warm look for drips
- avoid 2001 and 2002 V70's! 2003 and later are good V70s
- ignition switch sometimes has intermittent problems
- power seat controls
- check behind front wheels and make sure CV boots aren't leaking grease
- back the car up a hill in reverse. if something's wrong with the tranny, the first thing to go is usually reverse