IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Resonator leaking

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Randall0208
Year and Model: 2000 volvo s70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Randall0208

Resonator leaking

Post by Randall0208 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey there, I bought a 2005 volvo xc90 for $900, it has 220k miles but runs pretty good. I bought it for that price because of the miles ofcourse and it needed some work like brakes and tires. After I did that I brought it into the shop to be inspected and the resonator was rusted apart and leaked. My mechanic said it'd be $600 so I took it back to my house, ordered a new exhaust section from the resonator to the muffler. Today I got the exhaust from the resonator to the muffler out and called it a day. I picked up a gasket for inbetween the resonator and the cat and got an exhaust clamp for the new pipe to the muffler. Tomorrow I plan on finishing the job by putting the new section of the exhaust in. Anyone ever do a job like this before that has some tips?? Thanks a lot.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Resonator leaking

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Yes, I had the exact same thing done by my guys on my 2004 XC90. They just welded the new pieces in and all is well. No magic - just cut, weld and clamp as required. In my instance, after about a year they had to go in and cut out some other rusty pieces and do the same. Better approach is to have all suspect pieces replaced at the same time. Visually it is apparent.