IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

When does a CEM need programming? 2001 Volvo S60

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Alexis2929
Year and Model: 2001 S60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Alexis2929

When does a CEM need programming? 2001 Volvo S60

Post by Alexis2929 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 pm

A part inside my CEM is broken (the CSH1 and CSH2 connector , it’s a little black box) and I don’t have any power in my left turn signals

is it possible to get a new “connector” and if so what are they called, and saughter it back to the CEM.

If I were to buy a CEM would I need to program it to my car or would they already be programmed and thus I could just swap out the old one for the new one. Without needing any extra work (programming) to the CEM that I buy

I’m just looking for the cheapest and easiest way to fix

Does it need to be the exact same serial numbers ?

Any help is appreciated Thanks

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: When does a CEM need programming? 2001 Volvo S60

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:21 pm

A CEM needs programming in two cases: 1) if it has no software loaded (brand new) or 2) if the software loaded is not correct for your vehicle (debate is open on loading different software, but consensus is it can be done).

If you have a working CEM with a bad connector, you can swap the connector from ANY used working unit to your broken unit that has the same connectors you have issues with. This assumes your unit is functioning except for the connectors. A connector stores no software.

So, reading between the lines, you have a CEM where you believe the CSH1 and CSH2 connectors are bad. If you have the solder skills you can move these from a donor unit to your unit. Again, you have the skills and you know these two connectors are the only issue.

If you want to swap CEMs in their entirety, then you need to swap like for like (model year and part number usually works). The downside is the CEM will take the highest mileage portion, either your car or the donor CEM, and display that as the mileage. So best approach is to find a CEM with mileage lower than your car. End result is a showing of your car's actual mileage. This works most of the time, as at the age of these vehicles the dealer has already installed the correct latest software. This is not always the case, some cars slip through the cracks. If you have VIDA you can confirm the software version.

Does this clarify?

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Re: When does a CEM need programming? 2001 Volvo S60

Post by precopster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:45 am

The software versions can be identical but key information is stored on the CEM so without some degree of programming they can't be swapped out. Also if the VIN stored on the CEM doesn't match the VIN on the body/windscreen plate Volvo will not work on the car. For some people that's a blessing. Also dealers won't reload a used CEM as it's against policy.

If you're going to buy a used one these early CEMs need to be shorted so a programmer can access the car using a Dice diagnostic tool through your internet connection. I've swapped out about 7 early CEMs with a programmer's help. Doing it this way ensures a successful cloning from old to new.
These users thanked the author precopster for the post:
abscate

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.